Giggles

gluten-free Skin/haircare And Cosmetics

Rate this topic

Does anyone know a good, fairly inexpensive gluten free shampoo/conditioner/skincare/cosmetics manufacturer. I spent 2 hours in the shampoo aisle yesterday, and I thought I had a keeper. I was unsure of a couple ingredients, so I emailed the Manufacturer, Nature's Gate to clarify the "hydrolyzed vegetable protein", vitamin E, and 'vegetable derived ingredients" sources. (Vitamin E can be made from wheat germ oil!!!!) this is the response I got from Nature's Gate:

Our products are manufactured in an FDA registered facility that

produces products which may contain gluten, soy, corn and tree nuts. All

equipment is thoroughly cleaned according to GMP (General Manufacturing

Practices); however, we do not test for traces of these specific

ingredients. Therefore, we cannot claim that anything is gluten, soy,

corn or tree nut free. We carefully review all ingredients prior to

including them in our products to ensure their safety and quality.

If you have Celiac Disease or are allergic to any of these ingredients

we recommend that you contact your physician/dermatologist for product

recommendations since each individuals case may vary.

This answer is obviously a standard response from the legal department and did not answer a single one of my questions. My PCP always says, if you aren't sure about an ingredient, contact the manufacturer. He is not an expert on gluten free beauty products. But they were no help.

Any suggestions?

I love Afterglow cosmetics. They are really good and made by a family with celiac. They are on the pricy side but well worth it as they are all gluten free from a dedicated facility and all organic.

As far as shampoo goes, I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo and Johnsons Baby leave in conditioner. I have hair down almost to my lower back and it's thick and wavy. This has been wonderful for my hair.

Finesse makes a Hypoallergenic gluten free shampoo and conditioner. It says gluten free on it.

I have used Dessert Essence Organics, Giovanni, and Shikai brands for shampoo/conditioner. (Currently using Shikai.)

I've also seen it mentioned on the forum that Garnier has some gluten free products, although I have not used them.

I've used Suave, Pert Plus and Johnson's Baby shampoo in the past.

This past winter was harsh on my skin and scalp. I thought now that the weather has gotten warm my scalp would improve. Alas it did not. I tried everything thing to temper the itch, dry flaky skin and the sores. I had it! I've reacted to hair care products in the past(not a gluten issue) so I decided I would not use shampoo and conditioner and see how that would go.

For the past two weeks I've been using a mixture of baking soda/water to wash my hair and a mixture of apple cider vinegar/water for a rinse. The itching is gone and I do not have anymore dry flakes!! The sores are almost healed too. My hair is soft and shiny and on average only have to use the "nopoo" every three days.

After some calling around to the manufacturer, I found out that shampoo/conditioner I've always used is free of gluten ingredients. (Pantene's "Beautiful Lengths" line.) I've heard that other versions of Pantene are also gluten-free, but I find it best to call the manufacturer directly to be sure.

I'm in the same boat looking for gluten-free cosmetics. My mother-in-law is big into this company called Melaleuca which sells products without harsh chemicals, they list some of their beauty products as gluten-free so I use them for foundations, eye liners, etc. But you have to be a "member" to get those...

I found Afterglow online, and yes, they are a bit pricey. And several of the shades I would have purchased were out of stock. I've also found this website that is more affordable that I'm going to try out. (I can let you know if I like them once I receive them.) Joelle Cosmetics: http://www.mymineralglitters.com/joellecosmetics.html (BTW, if anyone has any experience with these cosmetics, I'd be interested to hear about it!)

HTH,

J

I don't worry about tocopherol. By the time it's a trace of gluten in a trace of tocopherol that may or may not be made from wheat germ, I figure I probably got more gluten in my occasional slice of Udi's. I avoid wheat germ oil, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and other more concentrated gluten sources in cosmetics because it seems sensible.

I use salon hair products because my hair is frizzy with cheap stuff. There is nothing I'm aware of that would contain gluten in my Paul Mitchell shampoo or my Enjoy reconstructing conditioner.

I just read about Jane Iredale brand on the Celiac Chicks blog. They seem kind of expensive but they have an SPF 30 dry sunscreen that looks amazing. Unfortunately there is tocopherol in the lipstick if you're concerned about it.

http://www.janeiredale.com/index.html

• Upvote 1