Mom2Will

Blood Tests And Doctors

Rate this topic

Ugh. I am so frustrated. My 8 year old son was recently diagnosed with Celiac. He had positive blood tests and a positive biopsy. So everyone else is being tested too. My husband went to his primary care dr. this morning and I specifically wrote down on a piece of paper to have them do the tTG test.

So the dr. takes blood, etc. and then gives him a print out of the tests being run. The dr. ordered the IgA and IgG tests and not the tTG. When my husband showed him the paper I gave him and questioned the dr. he said that the tests he ordered are "just as good".

Honestly, after reading several entire books on the subject, meeting with a gastroenterologist, a dietician, and reading as much as I can on the internet, I probably know more than the family doc does about Celiac. Why can't they just listen to their patients?

When I found out what tests were ordered I tried calling the dr. office and of course they are closed for the day and I'm sure the samples have already been sent out. I know we will get some useful information from the tests he ordered but they are not the most accurate. :(

Melissa

I know we will get some useful information from the tests he ordered but they are not the most accurate. :(

Melissa

Is your doctor an older doctor? Those are not used that much today, or certainly not relied upon. As I'm sure you know if you have done so much reading, these testss can often be negative while the newer, better tests are positive. And you only have to pass one test --even if the rest are negative, a positive is a positive, and to rely on only one older test is very disappointing. If I were allowed only one test I would want the DGP. I feel your frustration. And the tTG really needs confirmation with biopsy because a positive reading can be caused by things other than celiac.

Is your doctor an older doctor? Those are not used that much today, or certainly not relied upon. As I'm sure you know if you have done so much reading, these testss can often be negative while the newer, better tests are positive. And you only have to pass one test --even if the rest are negative, a positive is a positive, and to rely on only one older test is very disappointing. If I were allowed only one test I would want the DGP. I feel your frustration. And the tTG really needs confirmation with biopsy because a positive reading can be caused by things other than celiac.

He's a little bit older but not old. And then I find out later that he told my husband that even if he has celiac "he can just start eating rye bread instead." Oh really? I would have more respect for a doctor who told me he really wasn't familiar with a condition but would research it rather than one who just gives out blatant misinformation.

I've not heard too much about the DGP test, I'll have to look into that. But my son tested positive with tTG and with biopsy so if my husband came back positive for tTG I would think that would be pretty conclusive for celiac. I might need to try to convince my husband to look for a new doctor....

He's a little bit older but not old. And then I find out later that he told my husband that even if he has celiac "he can just start eating rye bread instead." Oh really? I would have more respect for a doctor who told me he really wasn't familiar with a condition but would research it rather than one who just gives out blatant misinformation.

I've not heard too much about the DGP test, I'll have to look into that. But my son tested positive with tTG and with biopsy so if my husband came back positive for tTG I would think that would be pretty conclusive for celiac. I might need to try to convince my husband to look for a new doctor....

I would think that might be a good idea. This one doesn't seem to know much about celiac. :o