Chalsh

Just Ate Gluten...

Rate this topic

I just ate something I realized had gluten after I had already eaten it. This was about 45 minutes ago, and I'm wondering if I should make myself throw it up. Other than that (if that), what should I do to reduce the symptoms that will occur?

I wouldn't try and make myself do anything. It's probably best to just let it run its course. I tried a salt-water flush after I ate a cupcake a few weeks ago and that seemed to alleviate most of the symptoms. Typically I had loose stools for about 12 hours after drinking the salty water. :unsure:

Salt water flushes are dangerous, as we tried to tell you, Alice. Chalsh, take whatever helps the symptoms. Immodium and/or Pepto-Bismol can help. I usually have to shift to eating only rice and broth for a couple days for nausea. Do be sure you're drinking plenty of fluids (not salt water) so your body can flush out.

Like Skylark, I also stick to things like rice and broth for a few days day and increase my water intake. Also, I have a gluten enzyme from the health food store. It works just like the lactose pills do, but on gluten. It basically helps break it down the gluten. While I still have all the nasty symptoms, it seems to help the gluten run it's course quicker and my symptoms be gone faster.