This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Buzzing In Ears

AVR1962

AVR1962 Collaborator

Anyone here find a source/remedy to buzzing in ears? Been dealing with it for 14 months with no change. Tried sulfur which did nothing. I have been avoiding salicylates & acidic foods, no difference.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

UKGail Rookie

For me, I'm not sure I would describe it as "buzzing", but rather pressure like not being able to clear your ears after a change in atmospheric pressure. If I notice any buzzing it seems to be secondary to my ears hurting in this way. I have chronic sinus pain, so I guess it might be linked to this issue. I take anti-histamines to keep it under control, and hope it will settle down eventually (it is a lot better than it used to be).

Tinnitus is apparently really common, so I guess if this is your problem, it is possible that it may not be linked with your celiac.

Looking at your list of health issues, they look awfully similar to mine, albeit I think you had it all worse than I did. I was lucky and avoided the first 2 issues you list and had pleurisy rather than pneumonia, leg cramps rather than restless legs, thyroiditis rather than nodules, some bone loss noted, but no fractures, the last few, yes, but probably not at the level where a doc would formally diagnose.

Best wishes.

cahill Collaborator

Are you soy free??

One of my reactions (actually my first reaction ) when I ingest soy is buzzing or ringing in my ears.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Anyone here find a source/remedy to buzzing in ears? Been dealing with it for 14 months with no change. Tried sulfur which did nothing. I have been avoiding salicylates & acidic foods, no difference.

I have a great book that lists symptoms and disorders and tells which vitamins/minerals, amino acids, etc. you could be deficient in. It also tells good sources of it in foods. In some cases it recommends supplements.

The book is: Recognizing Celiac Disease- Signs, Symptoms, Asoociated Disorders and Complications by Cleo J Libonati.

It says that Alpa-Linolenic Acid (ALA-omega 3) deficiency can cause a variety of issues, including neurologic disorders and ear problems. Often times one can be deficient in zinc, magnesium, manganese, and vitamins B3, B6, and C, too.

She suggests supplementation, but it occurs naturally in flaxseed meal or flaxseed oil, soy oil, canola oil, walnuts, red and black currant seeds, chia seeds, and dark green leafy vegetables.

With your migraines, I'm wondering if your ear problems could be related? When I first started reacting to soy I had pressure in my ears, followed by migraine that seemed concentrated in my ear, rather than the left side of my head, like they usually are. I'm wondering if you just aren't absorbing all of the nutrients you need..or could you have another food sensitivity?

Do you keep a food log?

YoloGx Rookie

For me it is staying off not only the salicylates but also now the amines. When I have the amines my ears buzz big time. It takes a while for the effect to leave the system. It is a learning process to figure out what one can eat on such a limited diet.

I discovered I had this problem after going hog wild making and eating sauerkraut and home made yogurt and chowing down on gluten-free miso. All very lovely and tasty--all very bad for me. INitially I thought this was wondrous food, but soon developed more and more frequent migraines and ringing ears and worsening insomnia.

Unfortunately both salicylate and amine sensitivity often go together. Lucky me to have that too with celiac, eh? Hope this does not apply to you Annette, but it might. Amine sensitivity often brings on the migraines if you eat an offending food.

Thankfully now I can digest very soaked and then thoroughly boiled beans (brought to a boil 3 times and then throw out the water those 3 times and put new water in for the last boil and simmer).

Amines are formed by preserving or fementing food. Thus any meats or eggs or fish needs to be very fresh. Mostly am eating a vegetarian diet now as a consequence, with hopes soon to get some fresh eggs and chicken at a local organic chicken ranch. Eventually maybe we will have our own chickens...Cock a doodle doo!! Lol! :D

Bea

cavernio Enthusiast

"It says that Alpa-Linolenic Acid (ALA-omega 3) deficiency can cause a variety of issues, including neurologic disorders and ear problems"

I'm under the impression that ALA omega 3's aren't as useful as other forms of omega 3 because the body actually just converts the omega 3 ALA into the other forms...and if it can't convert it, which can be an issue if you're sick, they're useless.

Unfortunately I don't know how to help tinnitus except things like always have noise around you, be it music, tv static, etc.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Thanks for the replies. Bubba's Mom, I will definately buy the book. Bea, I did try staying away from eggs but that didn't seem to be the issue. My scalp started itching again so i have tightened up my salicylates. The guessing game sure can wear a person down, ugh!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

Thanks for the replies. Bubba's Mom, I will definately buy the book. Bea, I did try staying away from eggs but that didn't seem to be the issue. My scalp started itching again so i have tightened up my salicylates. The guessing game sure can wear a person down, ugh!

It isn't just eggs, all animal products must be very fresh if you want to avoid amines. Chicken has to be killed the day before you skin it and parboil it and freeze the sections to use within one month. No pork or beef. Fish only has one day to use it too, and cannot stand to be refrozen. Fresh is fresh like in the ancient days of yore, no doubt! Same with eggs, use within 2 weeks--and no using it the next day after its been cooked or baked. Milk has a 3 day shelf life before the amines form. And of course no sauerkraut or fermented anything... or old bananas.

Pretty extreme! :) But staying off the amines is helping me immensely. No more migraines and it seems at last the twitching and sleeplessness is subsiding as well as the flaky red skin and itchy hives are fast disappearing.

The good thing about it for me at least is that I am now less fearful of getting a migraine just because I happened to go out somewhere to socialize.

My boyfriend has a smaller sensitivity to amines than I do, however they affect him too. Am going to have to find a home for my last batch of wonderful sauerkraut.

But despite the sadness I can't eat anything aged or fermented, having a clear head and skin and nervous system is way worth it.

frieze Community Regular

It isn't just eggs, all animal products must be very fresh if you want to avoid amines. Chicken has to be killed the day before you skin it and parboil it and freeze the sections to use within one month. No pork or beef. Fish only has one day to use it too, and cannot stand to be refrozen. Fresh is fresh like in the ancient days of yore, no doubt! Same with eggs, use within 2 weeks--and no using it the next day after its been cooked or baked. Milk has a 3 day shelf life before the amines form. And of course no sauerkraut or fermented anything... or old bananas.

Pretty extreme! :) But staying off the amines is helping me immensely. No more migraines and it seems at last the twitching and sleeplessness is subsiding as well as the flaky red skin and itchy hives are fast disappearing.

The good thing about it for me at least is that I am now less fearful of getting a migraine just because I happened to go out somewhere to socialize.

My boyfriend has a smaller sensitivity to amines than I do, however they affect him too. Am going to have to find a home for my last batch of wonderful sauerkraut.

But despite the sadness I can't eat anything aged or fermented, having a clear head and skin and nervous system is way worth it.

actually, no bananas at all. the "amine" typically tied to migraines, is tyramine. You can google a list of high tyramine foods, it is also the list that certain BP meds and some AD meds forbid. No chocolate, citrus fruit, bananas, flat beans, peanuts, red wine, etc.

AVR1962 Collaborator

actually, no bananas at all. the "amine" typically tied to migraines, is tyramine. You can google a list of high tyramine foods, it is also the list that certain BP meds and some AD meds forbid. No chocolate, citrus fruit, bananas, flat beans, peanuts, red wine, etc.

Wow! I sure hope this is not my issue. I am already avoiding citrus, chocolate, nuts and beans. I think what got me this last time was the citrate in my vits so I have cut that out.

On my hair strand test (which might not be 100% accuarte) it did indicate that I have a deficiency in B12, B2, folate, silicon, and isoflavoids. I read that a deficeincy in the isoflavoids can cause of lot of the symptoms I am still dealing with.

YoloGx Rookie

Well actually I don't tolerate bananas at all either. Or any alcohol, citrus, peanuts, etc. Thanks for the heads up just on the migraine front. I'll have to look up flat beans. I seem to be able to eat black eyed peas, black beans and asuki beans just fine thankfully since I need to be able to eat at least some protein!! since it seems I am allergic to all nuts and seeds and milk.

Yes indeed, let's hope Annette does not have this problem too!!

I surely did not want to face this possibility of being so completely sensitive to the amines either, but finally having done so its worth not having the headaches, ringing ears, weird itchy flaky inflamed skin, restless leg syndrome, insomnia etc.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Well actually I don't tolerate bananas at all either. Or any alcohol, citrus, peanuts, etc. Thanks for the heads up just on the migraine front. I'll have to look up flat beans. I seem to be able to eat black eyed peas, black beans and asuki beans just fine thankfully since I need to be able to eat at least some protein!! since it seems I am allergic to all nuts and seeds and milk.

Yes indeed, let's hope Annette does not have this problem too!!

I surely did not want to face this possibility of being so completely sensitive to the amines either, but finally having done so its worth not having the headaches, ringing ears, weird itchy flaky inflamed skin, restless leg syndrome, insomnia etc.

Bea, what do you know about deficiencies with isoflavonoids? I have been doing some research trying to figure this out. My hair starnd test showed that my body was deficient in these and I don't quite understand it. However, if you become deficient the symptoms are linked to the rest of my symptoms including ringing in the ears. Another thing that my hair strand test showed is that I was deficient in B12, B2, folate and silicon. If that is the case then it makes sense I ahve the nueropathy issues I have.

YoloGx Rookie

Bea, what do you know about deficiencies with isoflavonoids? I have been doing some research trying to figure this out. My hair starnd test showed that my body was deficient in these and I don't quite understand it. However, if you become deficient the symptoms are linked to the rest of my symptoms including ringing in the ears. Another thing that my hair strand test showed is that I was deficient in B12, B2, folate and silicon. If that is the case then it makes sense I ahve the nueropathy issues I have.

Hi Annette,

I do hope having extra bioflavanoids helps you out. It means eating more fruits and veggies and beans despite your limited diet.

I haven't had a hair analysis so I can't say for sure, however I do eat plenty of vegetables and now fruit (apples and pears) as well as beans so I should be OK with the bioflavinoids at least theoretically. I do take that co-enzyme B complex which seems to make a big difference for me. I also take silica drops so my collagen production is higher. It helps me have stronger joints. Otherwise my elbows etc. become too weak without it and also take plenty of calcium (E-zorb I have found to be the best kind for me), magnesium, zinc and liquid trace minerals.

This thing with the amines however really seems to be more relevant to my situation. I had some seaweed the other night and had a huge reaction afterwards. I didn't know why til I read here about the migraines and tyramine. I looked it up and sure enough seaweed is on the list. Who would have thought it?

I feel like I have been on a roller coaster of late. Am crossing my fingers I will soon have this amine situation more under control. It is a learning process so I am being patient despite so many trip ups.

Bea

WendyLee Rookie

There is a book called "Friendly Food" which is put out by Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia Allergy Unit and is available online. We bought our copy many years ago to deal with my husband's Chronic Fatigue and sensitivity to salicylates and every other chemical under the sun. Our copy starts with charts that show which foods contain salicylates, amines and combinations of both and in what degree, ie: low, moderate, high, very high. We found it invaluable over the years with kids and grandkids with skin complaints.

Open Original Shared Link

They also produce "Elimination Diet Handbook".

It was Dr Robert Loblay at the Royal Prince Alfred Allergy Unit who first diagnosed my husband way back in the early 80's when CFS was looked on as "all in your head" and is still viewed in that light by some doctors.

Wendy

YoloGx Rookie

There is a book called "Friendly Food" which is put out by Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia Allergy Unit and is available online. We bought our copy many years ago to deal with my husband's Chronic Fatigue and sensitivity to salicylates and every other chemical under the sun. Our copy starts with charts that show which foods contain salicylates, amines and combinations of both and in what degree, ie: low, moderate, high, very high. We found it invaluable over the years with kids and grandkids with skin complaints.

Open Original Shared Link

They also produce "Elimination Diet Handbook".

It was Dr Robert Loblay at the Royal Prince Alfred Allergy Unit who first diagnosed my husband way back in the early 80's when CFS was looked on as "all in your head" and is still viewed in that light by some doctors.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy--that is really useful information!

YoloGx Rookie

Am thinking of ordering one or two of the books: the RPAH Elimination Diet Handbook and the "Friendly Food" recipe book. Seems like the only place to do so is from RPAH in Australia. No wonder so few know about it here in the States! So thank you Wendy for pointing the RPAH books out tome again.

Meanwhile I discovered I even have to have my cooked beans fresh--i.e., within two days of being cooked. I had a fairly major reaction to 3 day old cooked beans--headache, chills, disorientation, restless legs, sciatica and major ear ringing!!

Thankfully one of my homeopathics helped me overcome the migraine pretty quickly. Taking some baking soda in water also helped, as did an epsom salt bath.

No more cooking a lot ahead of time for me unless I freeze it right away! Am still a bit tired today with continued ear ringing, though not as bad. Interestingly the puff around my eyes and face seems to be going away despite all.

I just found a source online just now where I can get local fresh chicken and eggs in San Jose, thankfully. I am certainly getting tired of just eating beans and more beans and brown rice for protein!

Meanwhile, how are you doing Annette? Any news-- Progress or otherwise?

Archived