ksmama

Daughter Had Her Endoscopy Today....

Rate this topic

My 8 year old daughter had the endoscopy and colonoscopy today, she had it because she has been getting stomach aches and headaches daily, plus she has muscle cramps, shows all the dental signs of celiacs and the biggest sign is failure to thrive. The blood work came up negative but the dr wanted to go forward with the scope, she was a trooper and did great! He gave me e pictures of her insides and he told me everything looks great but he took 4 biopsies of the small intestines and 4 of her colon and we will find out the results of those at her follow up on the 10th, my question is, is there a possibility of her turning up with celiacs even if the dr said everything looked normal? Either way we are going to give gluten free a shot and see If it helps.

The damage they are looking for is microscopic. Yes, in some cases GI damage is so severe it can be seen while they are performing the endoscopy but it's not the norm.

Yes, it's quite possible the lab will come up with something.

I think it's fabulous your doctor supports trialing gluten-free in spite of negative blood work and scope.

Are you starting gluten-free now?

I am starting a gluten free diet as of tomorrow for her, I was at the store today buying stuff trying to prepare the kitchen. My daughters doctor was great and told me to try the gluten-free diet, i have been pretty happy with him! I hate waiting for test results.....only 8 more days!

I'd do some reading on the site. It's best to try to keep her on whole, simple foods; however, in the name of sanity I'd try to find some "favorite" substitutes.

Milk can be a problem for some people going gluten-free, even if it wasn't Pre-gluten-free, so keep an ear out for complaints if she eats cereal with milk, etc.

Chex is gluten-free (except wheat), rice crispies and coco puffs make gluten-free versions - they will say gluten-free on the box. If you buy oats, buy gluten-free oats (though they are suggested for advanced gluten-free).

Read EVERY label. It's exhausting, I know, but it becomes habit. If you have a smartphone google "x gluten free" at the store and good chance you'll find an answer to status.

My 8 year old daughter had the endoscopy and colonoscopy today, she had it because she has been getting stomach aches and headaches daily, plus she has muscle cramps, shows all the dental signs of celiacs and the biggest sign is failure to thrive. The blood work came up negative but the dr wanted to go forward with the scope, she was a trooper and did great! He gave me e pictures of her insides and he told me everything looks great but he took 4 biopsies of the small intestines and 4 of her colon and we will find out the results of those at her follow up on the 10th, my question is, is there a possibility of her turning up with celiacs even if the dr said everything looked normal? Either way we are going to give gluten free a shot and see If it helps.

My daughter is 8 too and her bloodwork just came back postive for celiacs. The dr says the only way to be 100 percent sure is by the endoscopy. He said it's up to me. I was just wondering, how did your daughter handle the procedure? thanks :)

My daughter is 8 too and her bloodwork just came back postive for celiacs. The dr says the only way to be 100 percent sure is by the endoscopy. He said it's up to me. I was just wondering, how did your daughter handle the procedure? thanks :)

She did great! She understood why she was getting it done, it took her a little while to come out of the sedation butnshe came around, she did have a headache and a stomachache afterward but they didnt last long.