GFSAHmom

Blood Work Questions For My 2Yr Old

Rate this topic

We got my son's blood work results after 2.5months gluten free. The Dr is very concerned about his Zinc level. It's 48 (norm is 70-130) He put him on a zinc supplement. What foods can I feed my son that have good zinc but i dont want to overdo it. Also, celiac test # was >139 (144) when we started out January 6th and it's down to 54 now. I thought it was a success that it was down but the dr said it should be below 30 by now and that he was still getting gluten...I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong but i will tighten down on what he eats. our kitchen is gluten free also. (My husband has self diagnosed celiac (he thrives being off gluten!!) Did your child's numbers drop faster or slower? I'm confused because it looks like a great improvement in 2.5months gluten free...

It would be nice if the levels dropped to "normal" that fast but in reality, they don't. I am actually surprised they retested at 2.5 months out. We go every 6 months to retest.

I wouldn't be overly worried this early on. Keep doing what you are and see in a few more months. FWIW, my DS;s tTG's are still high but the other test that is more specific for dietary compliance came back 100% fine! We believe a thyroid issue is contributing to the still elevated tTG's ay 2 years gluten-free.

It is a great improvement! Ignore your doctor and keep doing what you're doing with the diet. As Stephanie says, most folks get retested at six months.

Too much zinc is a little toxic I wouldn't try to feed him a bunch of zinc-rich foods along with the supplement. As he heals his absorption should improve quite a bit. Here's some info on dietary zinc. There is a link below the food list on that page that gives you a HUGE list from the USDA.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-HealthProfessional/