This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite gluten-free Healthy Snacks ?

MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz Enthusiast

Ok, so I am getting bored with fruits, yogurts, cottage cheese....having a hard time thinking of something for a healthy snack, I"m trying to get away from sugary processed foods. Does anyone have any ideas? Does anyone here combine carbs with a protein? any ideas for doing that? I need to lose my muffin stomach.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

If I do not have a protein with a carb, I feel lousy and my blood sugars dive and spike, so in addition to the foods you have listed, I also smear some kind of nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew) on celery sticks, apple slices or on a few Crunchmaster crackers.

Nuts work well. :)

Also, I like a little cheese on my crackers. :)

(this was a lot harder for me when I had to avoid dairy for almost a year!) :rolleyes:

Some people like hummus (not I)

and also, guacamole with a few corn chips are good.

GFreeMO Proficient

I make sorbets of all kinds. The last one I made was lemon. It's really quick and easy and great for the warmer weather. Cheap too.

Mateto Enthusiast

I don't know if you'd call this a snack, but it's great for elevenses or afternoon tea.

Boil an egg til the yolk is left gooey. Toast one slice of (presumably) gluten-free bread.

Cut egg in half, cut toast into strips. Dip toast in egg yolk, put in mouth, chew, swallow, enjoy! It's called "egg and soldiers" and it's my favourite thing to eat besides chocolate.

MoMof2Boyz Enthusiast

thank you! it all sounds good! if you think of anything else, please post it!

IrishHeart Veteran

I make sorbets of all kinds. The last one I made was lemon. It's really quick and easy and great for the warmer weather. Cheap too.

yum...that sounds good, MO...did you post your "technique" in the cooking section, by any chance? :)

IrishHeart Veteran

oh, I just remembered something else...how about smoothies?

Not just with fruit, but add veggies and yogurt too. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

yum...that sounds good, MO...did you post your "technique" in the cooking section, by any chance? :)

Irish, I haven't because it is so simple. All you do is take 2 cups of water and put it in a pot with 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar and use 4 cups of any fruit that you want. Put the fruit in a blender until it's all liquidy and then strain it if it's fruit with seeds like raspberries. Pour it into the sugar mixture and put it in an ice cream maker until it's frozen.

With lemon sorbet, you just use the lemon juice with no blender or straining. Same with lime or orange.

GFreeMO Proficient

Crustless pumpkin pie is good too! Look on the Libby's website. I just use water in place of the milk in it and it works every time. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Irish, I haven't because it is so simple. All you do is take 2 cups of water and put it in a pot with 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar and use 4 cups of any fruit that you want. Put the fruit in a blender until it's all liquidy and then strain it if it's fruit with seeds like raspberries. Pour it into the sugar mixture and put it in an ice cream maker until it's frozen.

With lemon sorbet, you just use the lemon juice with no blender or straining. Same with lime or orange.

cool!

So, do you use the same amount---4 cups of straight lemon, lime or orange juice too?

GFreeMO Proficient

Here is what I use for Lemon, Lime and Orange.

Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart Veteran

Here is what I use for Lemon, Lime and Orange.

Open Original Shared Link

great! thanks for the link! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
nightwolf67 Newbie

It might not be a reality for you (because they can sometimes run pretty pricey), but what about gluten free power bars? there's a whole industry devoted to coming up with gluten-free healthy snacks for those living active lifestyles... I'm a big fan of NoGii, myself!

If you can't find them near you, there are all sorts of online stores that'll sell them!

Archived