padua330

Possible Celiac?

Rate this topic

Hey everyone, what's up? This is my first post.

So, I'm a 20 year old male who has fought a battle with food since my freshman year of high school. Every time I would eat I would become so tired that I felt that I needed to sleep or I couldn't continue with the rest of my day. While I know this is normal for everyone to feel a bit tired after eating, I many times feel like I can't really stay awake or feel so awful trying to stay awake. But this is something that I have managed to live through and I am still a successful student. I've also had some sporadic gastrointestinal issues for a few years but it's really nothing that is debilitating, just inconvenient.

I've also had some other issues like kidney stones and pilonidal cyst disease (I had the surgery to remove the pilonidal area) that as far as I know have no relation to Celiac.

Finally (sorry this post is so long), the reason I stumbled upon here is that for years now I've had this white coating on my tongue that I couldn't get rid of. I've used the Breath Rx system to no avail, and recently I think it's gotten worse. I looked online for ways to fix it, and saw that it could be a sign of Celiac Disease and when I started reading about it I thought that the symptoms were similar complaints that I've had for awhile.

I don't really know if I should look into this any further. My normal doctor that I've seen my whole life recently moved away so I'm looking for a new one. I also am nervous about bringing something like this up to a doctor, because I don't want to seem like a hypochondriac or tell the doctor how to do his/her job.

Any advice would be helpful and thanks for reading!

GI's have heard worse :) so don't worry abt sounding like a hypochondriac.

Interesting, because I have that same stubborn white coating on my tongue and when I went gluten free for a few months it went away. Not sure what that means, and I woudnt assume you've got celiac based on that, but between that and your extreme lethargy following eating, i'd say you've got quite a strong case to bring to your GI. I think that as long as you present your info respectfully, any good doctor will appreciate a well-informed patient. Good luck!

Thanks for the post. I'm going to start looking for a new internist to see once I get out of school in May.