noenergy

Wondering What The Results Will Be

Rate this topic

Here is my story, trying to figure out if this sounds familiar to anyone. I went to the doc several months ago for a general sick feeling. I had fatigue, insomnia, stomach pain, RLS, diarrhea, tingling in my hands and feet and my heart palpitations were worse. They ran some blood work and it came back that I had low calcium in the blood...so they ran more blood work and found that I have very low magnesium. My doc was thrilled because apparently low magnesium causes all the symptoms I had been having, put me on supplements. We did some eliminations to figure out why I wasn't absorbing magnesium and decided it was because I had been taking prilosec for 2 years. Apparently PPI's can cause low magnesium in some people. My doctor had me quit taking prilosec, had me continue with the supplements and decided to send me to gastronoligist to figure out how bad my acid reflux is and how to control it with something other than a PPI. So I met with my new gastro doc this week and he wants to do EGD and take a biopsy of my small intestine to check for celiac. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Do these symptoms sound like celiac? I am feeling better with the tingling but I am still having the stomach pain and tenderness and diarrhea, also still not sleeping well. During the last two months I have broken my foot walking down stairs and gone to the dentist and found out I had 14 cavities (had only been a year since I had gone)!! I feel like I am falling apart but just have never in a million years thought I could have celiac. Thoughts??

Welcome to the board. IMHO it sounds like you are in the right place. Don't go gluten free until you are done with celiac related testing. Once celiac testing is done then go strictly gluten free for at least a couple months no matter what the results. I bet your feeling a lot better after a bit gluten free but it can be up and down for a bit at first.

Your symptoms sure do fit. I hope you get the answers you need to get on the path to wellness.

Thanks so much for your replies. I feel like I am learning so much from this site. Leaving a gluten free life seems so overwhelming to me, where do you start? I read somewhere that celiac can be triggered for some, I had my gallbladder out a little over a year ago and it seems my symptoms have gotten way worse since then. Do you think it's possible that could have triggered it?

Thanks so much for your replies. I feel like I am learning so much from this site. Leaving a gluten free life seems so overwhelming to me, where do you start? I read somewhere that celiac can be triggered for some, I had my gallbladder out a little over a year ago and it seems my symptoms have gotten way worse since then. Do you think it's possible that could have triggered it?

It's possible the surgery triggered it. It is also possible that you were celiac before the gallbladder came out and it contributed to your gallbladder issues.