Jump to content
  • Sign Up
0
Momto2girls

Blood Work Negative...but Not By Much...

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

My daughter just turned 4 in March. We've had GI issues since she was 2.5. In Aug. her ped tested her Transglutiminase IgA, and it was only .6 (reference range <4). This month we started with a ped GI specialist and she ran the same test again and now she's 3.72. (still ref range <4). So it is still within normal. (And her total IgA appears to be normal, too). Those are the only tests she ran. We do not go back until June, but in the meantime she's getting worse, not better.

I have a call into the GI but they are so slow to get back to us. Do you all think this is a good, solid negative, and we should accept it and move on? Or will it just be a matter of time before that number goes over 4? (Since she's just 4 years old?)

The GI said in June when we visit we'll see how she's doing and decide about scoping at that time. It seems biopsies aren't even that great, though. WWYD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter just turned 4 in March. We've had GI issues since she was 2.5. In Aug. her ped tested her Transglutiminase IgA, and it was only .6 (reference range <4). This month we started with a ped GI specialist and she ran the same test again and now she's 3.72. (still ref range <4). So it is still within normal. (And her total IgA appears to be normal, too). Those are the only tests she ran. We do not go back until June, but in the meantime she's getting worse, not better.

I have a call into the GI but they are so slow to get back to us. Do you all think this is a good, solid negative, and we should accept it and move on? Or will it just be a matter of time before that number goes over 4? (Since she's just 4 years old?)

The GI said in June when we visit we'll see how she's doing and decide about scoping at that time. It seems biopsies aren't even that great, though. WWYD?

It's a tough call. With her numbers rising, I would be concerned that she may have a gluten problem?

Were you told to try taking her off gluten to see how she does..or do they want to see if her numbers continue to rise?

If you're not sure what the reason for the wait is..call and ask them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a call into the GI but they are so slow to get back to us. Do you all think this is a good, solid negative, and we should accept it and move on? Or will it just be a matter of time before that number goes over 4? (Since she's just 4 years old?)

There is no possible way to distinguish between a true rise in her TTG and statistical noise within the "negative" range of the test. I would ask her doctor to run the more sensitive deamidated gliadin IgA and IgG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would encourage you to have her retested, Full celiac panel, sooner rather than later. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0

×