LilleesMom

Breastfed Infant With Celiac

Rate this topic

My daughter is now 7 months old but we started having unexplained (at the time) problems around 5 months of age. Out of the blue she started projectile vomiting and her white blood cell count was extremely high (20000-37000). On occasion she would have diarrhea with it. We were admitted overnight once and made numerous trips to the ER. We also spent almost 2 weeks in the childrens hospital where they performed surgery for a mild malrotation of her bowel to attempt to correct the vomiting. She has had several X-Rays,Upper GIs and small bowel studies and NO ONE could figure out what was going on. Finally her pediatrian who is just a PA mentioned Celiac disease. I got online and she had all of the symptoms: rash on her lower back/buttock, projectile vomiting, diarrhea, unexplained weight loss, skin color change, etc. We finally had a celiac panel done and her Total IGa was 88. We are now being refered to a different childrens hospital for the biopsy of her small intestine to confirm. She is breastfed full time and has eats baby food (veggies) which we stopped for a while because we didn't know if that was making her sick. Since I have cut gluten out of my diet going on 1.5 weeks she is now having solid bowel movements. Tho she has gone 2 weeks without an episode prior to gluten free she has more energy. I am so glad to have an answer now. From what I read gluten isn't good for you anyway. I still need some help with recipes and good gluten-free products. I hope this post will help someone else.

If you are feeding her gluten free, the endoscopy, whenever you get one, will likely be negative. Hopefully you could get a doc to officially diagnose based on reaction to diet and blood tests?

• Upvote 1