Brandee

Please Help Me Interpret My 4 Yr Olds Celiac Panel Results

Rate this topic

I'm looking for some help interpreting my 4 yr old sons Celiac Panel results from 2 yrs ago. I'm currently waiting on new test results as we speak. His GI said he tested + for Celiacs through blood work so he performed a biopsy. The biopsy was negative and his GI Dr. said biopsy is the "gold standard" for diagnosis and since that was negative then he doesn't have celiac disease. He doesn't really have any GI problems but he has severe short stature (3-5 percentile), low weight, diagnosed failure to thrive as infant, developmental delays, speech/language delays. He will be 5 in October and he's the size of a 3 yr old and weighs 29lbs. Since his biopsy was negative they never had me go gluten-free but for some reason last week his Endo wanted to run the Celiac Panel again. I'm assuming if his IGG is elevated again that we will be told to go gluten-free.

These are the results from when he was 2 yrs old:

GLIADIN IGG ABS: 5 Units (<_20) GLIADIN IGA ABS: 2 Units (<_20)

IgA TISS TRNSGLUTAMIN AB: 14 Units (<_20) IgG TISS TRNSGLUTAMIN AB: 38* Units (<_20)

I want to also note that every time they have ran a CBC dating back to 2008, his platelet count has been higher than normal. From what I've read an elevated platelet count means there is inflammation going on somewhere.

I've read that a "close to 0" reading of Gliadin IGA could mean they are IGA deficient. Is this the case here? Based on the blood test results and from your non expert opinion - would you say Celiacs is to blame?

I'm looking for some help interpreting my 4 yr old sons Celiac Panel results from 2 yrs ago. I'm currently waiting on new test results as we speak. His GI said he tested + for Celiacs through blood work so he performed a biopsy. The biopsy was negative and his GI Dr. said biopsy is the "gold standard" for diagnosis and since that was negative then he doesn't have celiac disease. He doesn't really have any GI problems but he has severe short stature (3-5 percentile), low weight, diagnosed failure to thrive as infant, developmental delays, speech/language delays. He will be 5 in October and he's the size of a 3 yr old and weighs 29lbs. Since his biopsy was negative they never had me go gluten-free but for some reason last week his Endo wanted to run the Celiac Panel again. I'm assuming if his IGG is elevated again that we will be told to go gluten-free.

These are the results from when he was 2 yrs old:

[ Reference Interval: Gliadin Peptide Ab, IgG ♦ ♦ 19 Units of less: Negative ♦ 20-30 Units: Weak Positive ♦ 31 Units or greater: Positive ♦ ♦ Reference Interval: Gliadin Peptide Ab, IgA ♦ ♦ 19 Units of less: Negative ♦ 20-30 Units: Weak Positive ♦ 31 Units or greater: Positive ♦ ♦ Reference Interval: IgG Tissue Transglutaminase ♦ ♦ Less than 20 Units: None Detected ♦ 20-30 Units: Weakly Positive ♦ Greater than 30 Units: Positive ♦ ♦ Reference Interval: IgA Tissue Transglutaminase ♦ ♦ Less than 20 Units: None Detected ♦ 20-30 Units: Weakly Positive ♦ Greater than 30 Units: Positive]

GLIADIN IGG ABS: 5 Units (<_20) GLIADIN IGA ABS: 2 Units (<_20)

05/07/10 12:40OtherSerol[ Reference Interval: Gliadin Peptide Ab, IgG ♦ ♦ 19 Units of less: Negative ♦ 20-30 Units: Weak Positive ♦ 31 Units or greater: Positive ♦ ♦ Reference Interval: Gliadin Peptide Ab, IgA ♦ ♦ 19 Units of less: Negative ♦ 20-30 Units: Weak Positive ♦ 31 Units or greater: Positive ♦ ♦ Reference Interval: IgG Tissue Transglutaminase ♦ ♦ Less than 20 Units: None Detected ♦ 20-30 Units: Weakly Positive ♦ Greater than 30 Units: Positive ♦ ♦ Reference Interval: IgA Tissue Transglutaminase ♦ ♦ Less than 20 Units: None Detected ♦ 20-30 Units: Weakly Positive ♦ Greater than 30 Units: Positive]

IgA TISS TRNSGLUTAMIN AB: 14 Units (<_20) IgG TISS TRNSGLUTAMIN AB: 38* Units (<_20)

I want to also note that every time they have ran a CBC dating back to 2008, his platelet count has been higher than normal. From what I've read an elevated platelet count means there is inflammation going on somewhere.

I've read that a "close to 0" reading of Gliadin IGA could mean they are IGA deficient. Is this the case here? Based on the blood test results and from your non expert opinion - would you say Celiacs is to blame?

So much of the information was run together it was hard to sort through! I think, correct me if I am wrong, your little one was positive on the IgG TtG test. The rest looked negative.

It does not look like they did a total serum IgA, that is the only way to know for sure if your son is IgA deficient.

Thankfully you have a doctor who is taking a second look. That elevated TtG IgG IS meaningful, it indicates an autoimmune problem. If possible, I'd go back and get a copy of the biopsy report from the first endoscopy. It would be helpful to know how many samples they took and what they said about them.

And, given that your son is so small, and was "failure to thrive", celiac is a strong possibility. Lots of celiacs get negative biopsies because 1)the person doing it does not take enough samples 2) the damage is patchy and the biopsy misses it and 3) the pathologist who does the interpretation doesn't describe it well and 4)the doctor reading the pathology report decides the damage isn't "bad enough".