coupdecoeur

Help With Test Results?

Rate this topic

Can anyone help me understand my test results? I was tested for Celiac a while back and the results came back negative, but I'm not sure if my total IgA level was tested or not (I've heard an IgA deficiency can cause a false negative). I'm still having symptoms that may or may not be related to gluten sensitivity - digestive issues, very irregular/no periods, extreme fatigue, brain fog, etc. - it seems to be somewhat better on a gluten-free diet, but it's hard to pin down. I don't have health insurance and so am a bit reluctant to see yet another doctor for yet another round of blood tests to figure out what, if anything, is wrong with me. Here's what I have:

Test: Anti-Human Tissue Transglutaminase IgA ELISA

Value: 0.2 U/ml

Reference range: < 10.3 U/ml

Help?

That is all they did ? :huh:

One test ? :o

Welcome!

Many doctors will only run the tTG IgA as an initial screening. Your's is negative, but that does not rule out Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerance. Do you know if your doctor ran any Vitamin or Mineral blood tests? Not absorbing nutrients can indicate Celiac Disease.

Since you had some improvement while trying gluten-free, it would be a good idea remove ALL gluten from your diet for at least three months to monitor improvements. Living gluten free is often the best test.

Should you wish to be tested again, you'll need to be eating gluten for some time before testing and will want to get a Full Celiac Panel.

Thank you for the help! It was a free celiac screening - none of the doctors I've seen have even suggested a celiac test, so I went on my own - hence the single test.

Since mostly cutting out gluten a couple weeks ago I have felt a bit better and have already had a period, so it seems at least worth pursuing. But I suspect I will want to see a doctor at some point in the near future - anyone have any recommendations in NYC, or have an idea of how much something like this costs out of pocket? Also, I work as a pastry cook and am literally breathing in flour all day - could this be causing problems too?