shadowicewolf

The Stomach Flu

Rate this topic

Ugh, so i've been sick since monday morning (where i quite literally had to walk out of my first class due to the need to visit the porcilin throne more then necissary). It was pretty bad and i had went so much that i had bright red blood in my "D". I also had a fever.

So this spurred me to make an appointment to the on campus clinic. To my joy, i got one of the few MDs there and she was knowledgeable in the gluten free diet and Celiac (Yay!). She agreed with me for this being a bug instead of a CC (i have my own apartment on campus, am heckishly careful about what i put in my mouth, and wash my hands like mad).

The "D" stopped that night, the stomach irritation is still going. I was advised to do the BRAT diet (bannanas, rice, apple sauce, and toast). I kinda cheated and made a homemade chiken and rice soup (boiled chicken, carrots, oninons, some salt and pepper, and rice). That set well earlier (ate the last of it for lunch), so decided to cook up some ground serloin, cabbage, onions with a little salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Tasted good going down and now, 3 hours later, my stomach is hating me (no nausea, just rumbleing, grumbleing, and gas).

It doesn't help that i havent had a BM since monday. But i also think that my stomach is still getting over it. I probably won't eat any dairy until after this weekend.

Any ideas for me?

Probiotics and digestive enzymes.

I think we have the same thing. My son started it Monday night. I thought it was his gluten symptoms going nuts (he isn't gluten-free, we're still testing). Until this evening when at a dinner party I got D and cramping and nausea...and since I've only eaten my own cooking for the last 2 days (and it doesn't feel like gluten but Junior Mints, which is a different reaction for me) I'm guessing he had/has a bug and now so do I. No, I wasn't eating at the party :).

About the same duration, too. He had D for 24 hours and of course is now pretty happy, though he's picky about food and not everything tastes as good as it looks. I've been giving him probiotics and I think it helps.

I might try that. It can't hurt at this point.

Other than that, i've been trying to sleep more (ugh, been having a hard time sleeping through the night), and drinking a lot of water.

But the "D" has decided to make a reappearence. Me thinks i jumped the gun with the food, but it tasted sooo goooooood.

Tommorow, i think i might try to make some homemade applesauce.

I only have one more class this week (tommorow at 8am) and we're doing a test then so i should be out earlier than i normally am, so hopefully i can just come back and sleep it off.

I had to cancel my workout with the trainer tomorrow. Figured that would be ugly.

My stomach has been weird most of the day, took til evening to experience the full effect. I hope it isn't like this tomorrow.

Food does not sound interesting.

I don't advise carbonated sodas. That seemed to set me off tonight, and aggravated my son's, too.

I don't drink those anymore because it used to set my GERD off for some strange reason.

That test should be anymore than an hour so hopefully i can make it through it. Then its a three day weekend for me. So hopefully i can get over this by then.

Its funny though i showed up for my last class on monday (looking like the dead) because i couldn't get ahold of the professor (i always email when i'm not going to be there out of curtosy), he took one look at me, told me to sign in, and then told me to go home. Never had that happen before.

I ate Stonyfield organic yogurt (six strains of probiotics) and it settled things down for me. Whenever I ate a meal, I topped it off with a good helping of the yogurt. When I finally started to feel good agian it was like someone turned a switch. I was sick one second, and the next second I felt perfectly fine. Weird.