This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starfish Battered Fish

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

The one frozen thing that always catches my eye at the store is fish. Since I still buy filets and such I end up seeing if they have any gluten free goodies. I noticed a while ago that one of the local stores started carrying Starfish battered halibut and cod that were gluten free. Sure to be disappointed I picked up a box and read that they are also peanut free, soy free, milk free (casein), and egg free. No MSG to be found either. I finally caved and bought a box even though (as usual) they were a little pricey at $7 for a small box.

I'm glad I did. I've had breaded fish before with tortillas and crap that is cheaper but sometimes you just want a good old fashioned battered fish and this sure lived up to my expectations. It was crispy out of the oven, exactly following the directions so I won't have to deep fry for a crispy fish. And the taste and texture are good too! I was very surprised. It'll have to be a rare treat at that price, but it makes for a fairly quick meal if your day doesn't go as planned.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

What do they use for the batter? Just curious. Might be fun to try these as I'm not going to batter and fry fish.

Adalaide Mentor

Psh... I don't know. The only thing it seems to have in it is fish. :lol: I suppose I could go get myself a bowl of tiramisu ice cream for dessert and go check.

K, I went to check. (and get ice cream) It has corn flour, rice flour, both gums and some spices and crap. I have a REALLY short memory and am in far too much pain to walk it down the stairs and back up again. But hopefully that is enough info.

kareng Grand Master

Psh... I don't know. The only thing it seems to have in it is fish. :lol: I suppose I could go get myself a bowl of tiramisu ice cream for dessert and go check.

K, I went to check. (and get ice cream) It has corn flour, rice flour, both gums and some spices and crap. I have a REALLY short memory and am in far too much pain to walk it down the stairs and back up again. But hopefully that is enough info.

Rice and corn....good enough!

Now to the important info - tiramisu ice cream?

Adalaide Mentor

It is a store brand of ice cream with a billion ingredients, which I normally wouldn't eat. But it looked good and I read the label like 10 times. I know the manufacturer takes every precaution to prevent CC and so in the cart it went. It doesn't have cake pieces, which is probably the only reason it is gluten free. After reading like 2 dozen ice cream labels at the store of flavors I wanted and them all having soy I was like screw it, I'm having THIS ONE! It is the private selection brand which is Kroger or Smith's or something like that.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I've also had the Starfish brand fish, I thought it was tasty too! I recently saw

in a store they have shrimp now, little sad I'm grain free now.....

GottaSki Mentor

lol...was thinking fish and chips before I saw this thread -- the boys will be happy to try these!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Where is the FISH from? If it is from China like most fish available here in the midwest, I won't eat it. If is is wild-caught USA fish, I probably can't GET it here.

I swear, the ONLY thing that could get me to take a trip back East is seafood.

Adalaide Mentor

It is wild caught. I don't know where from, but wild from somewhere. That was all it took to sell me.

Also, I live in Utah. The only fresh fish we get that doesn't suck is from the lakes here. It is shipped all over so you may very well find it near you once you get your corn back.

CommonTater Contributor

I haven't seen that fish at our stores but I'll sure keep my eyes open. I have a HECK of a time finding ice cream without gluten!

kareng Grand Master

. I have a HECK of a time finding ice cream without gluten!

That's odd.  Unless they add cookies or certain candies, most ice cream is gluten free.

CommonTater Contributor

At the grocery store in town they seem to only carry ice cream that list wheat as an ingredient. I feel certain it's the ones they choose to carry that is the problem. They have 2 I can eat (honest) one is chocolate and the other vanilla, no variety.

Archived