This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Get To Gluten Myself - Endo Next Friday

Smylinacha

Smylinacha Apprentice

Hello,

Well, it's been over 2 months that I have gone gluten-free and I have no complains with the diet - I can't believe how crappy I used to eat so I'm happy I eat more fruits, veggies and hardly any processed garbage anymore.  I know I have accidentally glutened myself a few times because my stomach problems start up again and normally last for 2 days - usually happens at work when I can't turn down a cookie or I put the wrong salad dressing on my lunch.

Although I feel much better, I'm still losing weight (down to 94 lbs now) and one thing didn't go away - I have burning/pressure in my upper stomach and sometimes as the day goes by it can get worse.  Only thing that makes me feel better is to drink a New Planet Beer or a hard cider - bubbly, which will make me burp.  But it comes back and sometimes I have a problem at night going to bed with that pressure.

I went to see the Gastro today to talk to her about and she scheduled the endo for next Friday. She pressed on my stomach and down my my intestines it didn't hurt like it used to but my upper stomach sort of hurt when she pressed on it - not stabbing pain, but pressure.  I am to gluten up again until next Friday (not looking forward to that but I'll do what I gotta do).  She is going to check for H-Pylori - what is that? And she wants to check for ulcers/hernia?  Plus I'll get a biopsy done for the celiac.

I just hope I get somewhere with all this.  Anyone ever have H-Pylori or an ulcer?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SeekingSarah Apprentice

Over what time period have you lost the 94 lbs? I asked because I've put on an additional 150lbs in the past 5 years...despite revision to WLS and healthier eating...wondering if the key is going gluten free waiting for tests etc to go....

Smylinacha Apprentice

I didn't lose 94 pounds but I went from 106 to 94 in a year's timeframe....still eating like a pig until gluten free a couple of months ago.  I've always been thin, late bloomer as a child and had the symptoms for years.  Felt better a few years ago and then bam, back again.

SeekingSarah Apprentice

I didn't lose 94 pounds but I went from 106 to 94 in a year's timeframe....still eating like a pig until gluten free a couple of months ago.  I've always been thin, late bloomer as a child and had the symptoms for years.  Felt better a few years ago and then bam, back again.

Ah sorry I see I misread. I know it can be frustrating at either end of the spectrum. Feeling better is what is important, I hope you get some answers. I'm scheduled to see a GI April 1st. I saw one 5 years ago I just went for GI symptoms no idea other issues might all be related...as he was telling me what he was going to test for he said he would do a blood test to rule out Celiac but he didn't suspect it as most are under not over weight, and he said it was neg, I have no idea what all tests were run, etc...I need to get a copy to see...he just deemed me IBS and sent me on my way. 

Smylinacha Apprentice

Yup...was dx'd years ago with IBS....I think there is more to it. I have read so many posts about people being overweight with celiac so it still could be your problem. Are you feeling batter if you go gluten free? Helped me big time but now I am glutening on beer and chocolate chip cookies :-) God help me

EmiPark210 Contributor

Do you chew gum? That can cause a lot of excess stored air into your system which can create feelings of pressure. But if bubbly stuff helps, maybe expanding your options outside of alcohol might also alleviate issues? I am a huge lover of ginger beer (ginger ale is to weak tasting) for a caffeine-free, nonalcoholic bubbly drink, and the ginger can help with stomach issues.  

Enjoy the cookies!

SeekingSarah Apprentice

Yup...was dx'd years ago with IBS....I think there is more to it. I have read so many posts about people being overweight with celiac so it still could be your problem. Are you feeling batter if you go gluten free? Helped me big time but now I am glutening on beer and chocolate chip cookies :-) God help me

I just made the connection last Wednesday, have appt April 1 and given my first blood test supposedly were negative I'm not trying to go gluten free until after testing. It's kinda hard mentally because I do cook and eat fresh foods, when I lived in FL I belonged to an organic fruit and veg buying club, but I do still eat whole wheat bread, pasta, "healthy" carbs and fiber you know fiber for the IBS...grrrr. So it's hard to continue to eat thinking I might just be poisoning myself but then knowing to get the answer I need to keep my normal eating for now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Smylinacha Apprentice

Yep ginger ale too but my 1 beer is right after work. I do chew gum at work and am trying to cut back.

Well to most people everyday food is normal and we are "special". Just glad they have gluten free breads and pastas!

Stinks that we have to gluten again for tests. I wasn't going to but since they want to check for h-pylori then might as well do it and get it over with.

CiscoEngineer Newbie

Smylinacha,

I just went through this. Spent the past 4 months having the same symptoms you are experiencing - pressure in chest, burning, waking from sleep, etc...  I had my endoscopy a little over a month ago.  It ended up being Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EE).  Basically, I had an allergy to something (probably gluten, as I've been eating gluten for 10 years now, after a suspected misdiagnosis of Celiac which turns out may have actually been there all along (results come in this Friday)), either in the environment or in food, and it has developed and irritated my esophagus over time to the point where I developed strictures at the bottom of the esophagus, and ridges like a ruffles potato chip on my esophagus from the reaction, which in turn makes my esophagus hard and not flexible.

So when you eat, your esophagus is not bringing the food directly into your stomach as it should. Rather, it irritates your esophagus further and some of the food sits on the ledge of the stricture at the bottom of your throat entry-point into your stomach, waiting to "fall in."  This sensation mimics a heart attack due to the pressure it causes.  The treatment is a steroidal inhaler like people take for asthma, but instead of inhaling, you puff and swallow, to heal the reaction in your throat. It takes about a week, but then you will feel back to 90%. The treatment lasts for 6 weeks, twice daily, four puffs total. If this doesn't help, then the next step is to perform another endoscopy and stretch the stricture, removing the "ledge" that has formed at the bottom of the throat.

Also, H. Pylori is a bacteria that half the population has, but 80% are asymptomatic. However, 20% experience symptoms from the bacteria's cylindrical shape possessing the ability to grind through the stomach lining, causing ulcers, bloody/coffe-ground-like vomit, blood stools, and a myriad of other gastrointestinal issues.  Treatment is a hard course of strong antibiotics for about two weeks.

Smylinacha Apprentice

SSorry you have EE. But at least there is a medication for it. Not sure what this is as it isn't painful but just pressure. Not as bad today and don't know why. Gluten day 5 and my stomach isn't as bad as I thought but I have all the other symptoms which I will post. As form the h-pylori, no bloody vomit or stools. Keep us posted on your results on Friday and thanks form the reply as I will do some research on EE :-)

Archived