This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

6 Year Old With Nausea

BeckyWJ

BeckyWJ Rookie

My six year old son has had nausea for about 3 weeks. He says he feels like he will throw up, but never does. He eats, but usually not very much at one time because it makes him feel sick. He has 2 siblings who have had gluten issues in the past, so that made me think he may, too.

He's had no gluten for 3 days, but still feels nauseous after he's taken several bites of anything. With his siblings, no gluten had immediate effects, so his non-response is disheartening.

A few questions: How many days should I keep him on no gluten before I move on? Should I also keep him off dairy? If so, should he also stay off any food cooked with dairy in it?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

He needs to be eating gluten for Celiac testing.

There are some other issues that can be causing nausea.  Are you going to get a refferal to a ped. gastro.?  The majority of issues can be diagnosed by an endoscopy with biopsy.  (In this case you should keep the diet "normal")  An hernia can also present with a lot of nausea.  Parasite testing can be run by your ped. ordering the tests and sample collection kit.  Is there any fever involved?

BeckyWJ Rookie

He needs to be eating gluten for Celiac testing.

There are some other issues that can be causing nausea.  Are you going to get a refferal to a ped. gastro.?  The majority of issues can be diagnosed by an endoscopy with biopsy.  (In this case you should keep the diet "normal")  An hernia can also present with a lot of nausea.  Parasite testing can be run by your ped. ordering the tests and sample collection kit.  Is there any fever involved?

There is no fever involved. I want to rule out as many issues as I can before I take him to a pediatrician. But I had not thought of hernia or parasites. That's definitely something to think about.

mommida Enthusiast

There is a list of "usual suspects" that present with these symptoms.

In some cases there has been some issues with misdiagnoses, so it is a good thing that you are aware of Celiac.  (I have heard of some patients having gall bladders removed before eventually being diagnosed with Celiac.  I have read some reports of non-functioning gall bladders before the gluten free diet has been started as treatment too.)

In my daughter's case Celiac was diagnosed 5 years before these type symptoms started again.  (Symptoms were gluten exposure like and progressively got worse.  "D", headaches, dark circles under the eyes, hair starting to fall out, vomitted blood while having a "virus" with fever, GERD, hospitalizations for dehydration, and then vommitting 5 times a day.  She was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis after diagnoese of Celiac and a gluten free diet for 5 years.  There is now a proven connection between EE and Celiac.  As more data is being collected we may get some true statistics of how many Celiacs have EE too.  Both are autoimmune and have food "triggers".

So I strongly suggest testing and as soon as possible to know exactly what you are dealing with. 

Archived