Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taynichaf

Negative Celiac, Positive Anemia?

This is frustrating for me because I don't know what to believe! The doctor said it's at least gluten intolerance...but I still believe it's celiac.does gluten intolerance have to be just as strict as a celiacs diet? Because I feel like I'm more likely to not care all that much about cross contamination..

Oh, and I have been anemic for awhile..was taking double dose of iron supplements and they didn't help..still sound like gluten intolerance, or celiac?

I want to get a different kind of test done, but I don't know where to go??

****my mom told me or family has a history of autoimmune diseases.

This does sound more like coeliac than a regular gluten intolerance, damage from coeliac makes it difficult for the body to absorb nutrients which would explain your persisting aneamia, mine didn't settle until I was fully gluten free for a few months. .. what other symptoms do you have?

How many times have you had your bloods checked for coeliac? sometimes they can show up as negative but be incorrect.. I think it would be a good idea to try and get your doctor to repeat them, and see if you can get yourself a GI who will give you an endoscopy to check for damage. The family history of autoimmune diseases certainly makes coeliac more likely. 

Even if it is a regular gluten intolerance it is important to be strict and try to avoid gluten, intolerances can become more severe over time and may end up making you very unwell.