Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ABQ-Celiac

First Car Trip!

After eating gluten and dairy free for 9 months, I made my first long car trip. I used to love road trips: pizza, Chinese food, and fast food all day!

But this year I packed my rice cooker, toaster, and a cooler with ham, frozen chicken, ketchup, bacon, eggs, soy sauce, and then a bag of the life-saving Mi-Del cookies and Glutino crackers and nutrition bars to fill in the cracks!

It was a pain, of course, finding kitchenette motels where I could cook suppers and breakfasts, but I was healthy all week. I stopped at Wendy's every lunch for plain patties and a baked potato, or a plain chicken patty for a change. (Not every fast food place understands the order: "2 patties, no bun, no cheese," but most did.

I got tired of washing dishes in motels every night and morning, but it was better than being sick.

I did 7 days and used up my traveling food and restocked it every couple of days. The food gets boring, but it's boring at home as well. (Rice and ham. Rice and chicken. Rice and hamburger.)

Since I last posted, I did have another endoscopy to check my villi, and they are still atrophied, but overall I was cancer free in my stomach, colon, and duodenum, so that was all good news.

Here's to a good week of coping for everyone!

That sounds great!  We have an RV which makes it a lot easier, but travel for business too.  Purchasing a "throw" away Styrofoam cooler upon arrival  is handy or cramming a collapsible  cooler into our luggage has saved us when we haven't found a frig in our hotel room.  Our fast food is shopping at grocery stores now.  Just a few visits, like you, to Wendy's or In-N-Out when we're sick of cooking.  

We always keep a few cans of gluten-free soup on those trips for emergencies.  Our little cheap toaster is invaluable for sandwiches.  And there's nothing like a bowl of Rice Chex with added fruit to start your traveling day.

Thanks too for letting me know about your recovery.  I'm still a newbie and I guess I'm just going to have to accept the fact that it took years to damage my villi and years to completely heal.  The good news is that I'm feeling much better.

Hi! Yes, I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 50s, so the amount of damage was fairly extensive. I still have bad nausea days, sometimes from cross-contamination, sometimes - as my doctors say - because my stomach is just doing the best it can.

We had an RV years ago, though, and are thinking of getting one again. 

Cheers!

That sounds great!  We have an RV which makes it a lot easier, but travel for business too.  Purchasing a "throw" away Styrofoam cooler upon arrival  is handy or cramming a collapsible  cooler into our luggage has saved us when we haven't found a frig in our hotel room.  Our fast food is shopping at grocery stores now.  Just a few visits, like you, to Wendy's or In-N-Out when we're sick of cooking.  

We always keep a few cans of gluten-free soup on those trips for emergencies.  Our little cheap toaster is invaluable for sandwiches.  And there's nothing like a bowl of Rice Chex with added fruit to start your traveling day.

Thanks too for letting me know about your recovery.  I'm still a newbie and I guess I'm just going to have to accept the fact that it took years to damage my villi and years to completely heal.  The good news is that I'm feeling much better.

Hi! Yes, I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 50s, so the amount of damage was fairly extensive. I still have bad nausea days, sometimes from cross-contamination, sometimes - as my doctors say - because my stomach is just doing the best it can.

We had an RV years ago, though, and are thinking of getting one again. 

Cheers!

We camped for years in tents.  Love the RV.  We drive a Pleasureway on a Sprinter platform (Mercedes Diesel).  Gets 21 mpg.  Little, but we can go anywhere!  Thankful to be able travel and cook gluten-free.  It greatly reduces the worrying factor.  

Have a great weekend.