Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

varucell

Help With Egd Info

I haven't received my biopsy results yet, but I noticed my notes about my EGD say that I have atrophic mucosa in the second part of the duodenum. Could someone tell me what that means and if this has anything to do with Celiacs.

Well, I'm not really conversant in this area, but "atrophic" is derived from atrophy, which means tissue deterioration. I would think that it is consistent with celiac disease, given that it is in the area mostly affected by celiac disease. Usually the report speaks of "villous atrophy" when identifying damage caused by gluten.

hmm that seems suspicious.  especially if this was noticed visually without use of a biopsy because a lot of times it seems villi changes can only been seen through biopsy samples.  did you get the full celiac blood panel?  if so, what were your results?

make sure you always ask for copies of your test results if you don't do so already  :)

I haven't received my biopsy results yet, but I noticed my notes about my EGD say that I have atrophic mucosa in the second part of the duodenum. Could someone tell me what that means and if this has anything to do with Celiacs.

They didn't do a panel. They did something a few years back with a blood test but they said I was negative for celiac. Maybe I should get ahold of those test results. I am sure I will know soon enough next week but whatever it is doesn't seem normal.

sounds like a good step to get those results  :)

if it was a few years back, it's possible you did not get screened with the newer DGP iga/igg antibody tests

I would ask for a full celiac panel, which consists of:

DGP iga/igg

ttg iga/igg

EMA

total iga serum-this is a control test to make sure you produce enough antibodies for the iga testing to be valid

good luck, and let us know how the biopsy results turn out!

They didn't do a panel. They did something a few years back with a blood test but they said I was negative for celiac. Maybe I should get ahold of those test results. I am sure I will know soon enough next week but whatever it is doesn't seem normal.