Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NicoleMT

Should I Get Tested?

I am curious on what others think.... I am new to gluten-free, I have already seen major improvments in myself only after a short time. I chse to go gluten free on my own. I am wondering if I should start back up on the gluten and go get the testing done. Honestly, I DO NOT want to go back, I felt horrible and am not sure if getting a diagnosis is worth the misery for me.

Thanks

It really is up to you whether you choose to test or not. If you decide to skip testing because you are feeling better gluten-free, then you can declare yourself Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitive (NCGS) and keep doing what you are doing. If you think having a doctor given diagnosis will help you stay gluten-free for life, then that could be a reason to consider testing.

Because there is a chance of celiac disease, you should probably get tested for some of the health problems that celiacs (and possibly NCGS's) face. Nutritional deficiencies are common; ferritin, iron, calcium, potassium, D, B's, zince are some of the most common problem areas. Thyroiditis is associated with celiac disease so you might want to check out your TSH, FreeT4 and T3, and possibly TPO Ab. Some people get bone density checked because osteopenia can be a problem.

Best wishes and welcome to the board.

I kinda have the same problem!! I went Gluten Free after I was told I didn't have Celiac. Then they say I do have Celiac and they want me to see another Dr. I went Gluten free after they told me I didn't have it!! Within a week I felt soooo much better!! The energy is incredible! So now back to gluten? Well I am Kinda!! I am not fully Gluten free! But I know what NOT to eat when I am out!! I will be honest with this next Dr. I am just having a hard time going full Gluten again!! After feeling so great without!! I don't want to poision myself again!! On purpose anyway!