Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

liv

Doctor Wont Test, Help!

Hello,

Im totally new to this disease. About a week ago I started suspecting I could have developed celiac disease by placing all the symptoms together, at first i thought it was lactose intolerance.

I moved to a new country about 3-4 months ago. My diet consists basically of morning cereal with fruits and milk, bread with cheese, and some rice and vegetables for lunch some chicken or fish but almost no meat. Sometimes i switch lunch for dinner and i eat bread for lunch. I don't drink soft drinks, just water. At night i eat dry fruits and tea.

I started feeling really bad about 1 month ago, every time after lunch i would get headaches and feel indisposed and it would be difficult to think.

About 2 weeks ago i got really bloated, i gained 3 kilos literally from night to day, LITERALLY. I was like a 7 months pregnant woman. My stomach would hurt every time after eating something. I tried eno and gas medications but it didn't help, and i would put a hot water bag to try and ease the pain.

I suspected it could be lactose and i cut it from my diet and went to see a doctor. I felt immediately better.

At the doctor he said i should cut lactose and gluten from my diet because the food from my country and from here is different, he didn't say i am celiac and he didn't ask for further exams. 

I feel better but i would like to be tested because this is s a huge change. My insurance refuses to let me be tested, saying that the doctor's word is final and i don't need to be tested for celiac disease, i just need to follow the diet.

How should i proceed? should i just accept it like this and keep a gluten free diet?

Thank you

Maybe you could check with another doctor?  Did they also check for parasites?  It seems better to have a diagnosis, but if you want one, you need to wait until the testing is done to go gluten freeBut the final test for a gluten free diet is always to gluten free and see if it works.    You could do that if nothing else works for you.

I would say it is important to get tested, otherwise it is not definite and you might let gluten sneak into your life sometimes in the future....

what kind of country is that, is it europe, mediterranean, asia?

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I am in Canada. My insurance is not helping they said if i wanted to get tested I should "call my country" or pay from my pocket. The doctors here are really expensive and hard to get an appointment.

I went out with some friends and since i didnt have a diagnose they pressured me to eat normal food because there was no gluten-free menu and they thought it was not serious. I thought i could give it a try to see if i would feel bad and i did. I ate a pizza at night and some ceral with milk in the morning. Had diarrhea and stomach aches for two days.

I just cut  both lactose and gluten from my diet now, until I can see a doctor again. I know it gives a false positive in the test, but i don't know whatelse i can do.

I am really upset with this whole situation and with having to beg to get tested.

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I am in Canada. My insurance is not helping they said if i wanted to get tested I should "call my country" or pay from my pocket. The doctors here are really expensive and hard to get an appointment.

I went out with some friends and since i didnt have a diagnose they pressured me to eat normal food because there was no gluten-free menu and they thought it was not serious. I thought i could give it a try to see if i would feel bad and i did. I ate a pizza at night and some ceral with milk in the morning. Had diarrhea and stomach aches for two days.

I just cut  both lactose and gluten from my diet now, until I can see a doctor again. I know it gives a false positive in the test, but i don't know whatelse i can do.

I am really upset with this whole situation and with having to beg to get tested.

If you're in Canada, then definitely try the CeliacSure test.  "CELIACSURE™ is a Medical Device that is licensed by Health Canada and meets the stringent European medical device requirements for a home test for Celiac disease (CE marked according to the IVD directive 98/79EC)"