Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa M.

Do Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity Folks Typically Have Casein Or Lactose Intolerance?

From my understanding, it is the ends of the villi that produce the lactase that helps digest the lactose in milk. When the villi are damaged and inflamed, they don't produce the lactase which leads to lactose intolerance. Some individuals however may have a preexisting intolerance unrelated to the small intestinal damage. NCGI does not damage the small intestine.

those are found in people with no problems with gluten, also.  If you think it might be a problem, eliminate it for a couple of weeks and see if you notice a difference?

Did it come on after your gluten sensitivity? I used to eat yogurt everyday with lunch and used to tolerate milk and ice cream just fine. Then about a month after my diagnosis I couldn't tolerate lactose at all. I've switched to lactose free milk in my rice chex and coffee and eat lactose free yogurt and I'm fine.

Like scarlet said the vili is what breaks down lactose and is what is damaged in celiacs. But many adults can't tolerate lactose like Karen said. So therefore you can't base if its celiac just by lactose intolerance. Although like I said mine came on after diagnosis

Did it come on after your gluten sensitivity? I used to eat yogurt everyday with lunch and used to tolerate milk and ice cream just fine. Then about a month after my diagnosis I couldn't tolerate lactose at all. I've switched to lactose free milk in my rice chex and coffee and eat lactose free yogurt and I'm fine.

Like scarlet said the vili is what breaks down lactose and is what is damaged in celiacs. But many adults can't tolerate lactose like Karen said. So therefore you can't base if its celiac just by lactose intolerance. Although like I said mine came on after diagnosis

The lactose piece just came on as I am was awaiting the blood tests. I always ate yogurt and cheese prior. A day or 2 after taking gluten out I realized I was having bloating and gas (both ends) from drinking kefir and then a few pieces of shredded Parmesan cheese. So, I took lactose and casein out of my diet too.

The Dr told me on Friday after 8 days off gluten to get back on so they can do a biopsies. 24 hrs back on gluten and I am exhausted, bloated, constipated, have a low grade fever and now a pain on my left under the rib that I have never experienced before. I am back on gluten, not lactose.

I pray the GI will get me in quickly and will get back to a strict gluten free diet after the biopsies.

Thank you for your reply. I think I accidentally "replied" with a blank. I'll get the hang of this soon.

From this forum, I have gotten such relief, more than 1Dr has acted like I was making stuff up and has commented that my symptoms are all over the board, yes they are!

Yeah that rib cage pain. Yuck! But he is right you need to eat gluten for the biopsy. Have your blood tests come back yet? There is a new guideline now that says diagnosis can be made with a positive blood test and no biopsy.