cyclinglady

Medical History Family Tree

Rate this topic

I just received a nice complement from my sister-in-law today!

My niece has been having tummy issues that echo my old gallbladder symptoms.  I typed up a family history medical tree and sent it off to her mom.  My niece's new gastro was amazed that a patient came in with a complete medical history.  Within seconds, he was willing to order a celiac panel and HIDA scan based on my diagnosis of celiac disease and our horrible family history of non-functioning gallbladders.  

When the doctor asked if they knew anything about gluten, my little niece pipped up saying, "My aunt and uncle are gluten free and they can't eat wheat!"

My sister-in-law was so happy that for the first time a doctor really listened to them and my niece was thrilled that maybe this doctor can help her!  

My suggestion is to take the time to create a medical history family chart and share it with your family.  Just use first names to protect privacy or just a title "Maternal Grandmother", etc.    It might just save a loved one from going through the same diagnostic hell most of us have been through!  No more, "Aunt Edna died of a wasting disease....not sure exactly what she had."

I just received a nice complement from my sister-in-law today!

My niece has been having tummy issues that echo my old gallbladder symptoms.  I typed up a family history medical tree and sent it off to her mom.  My niece's new gastro was amazed that a patient came in with a complete medical history.  Within seconds, he was willing to order a celiac panel and HIDA scan based on my diagnosis of celiac disease and our horrible family history of non-functioning gallbladders.  

When the doctor asked if they knew anything about gluten, my little niece pipped up saying, "My aunt and uncle are gluten free and they can't eat wheat!"

My sister-in-law was so happy that for the first time a doctor really listened to them and my niece was thrilled that maybe this doctor can help her!  

My suggestion is to take the time to create a medical history family chart and share it with your family.  Just use first names to protect privacy or just a title "Maternal Grandmother", etc.    It might just save a loved one from going through the same diagnostic hell most of us have been through!  No more, "Aunt Edna died of a wasting disease....not sure exactly what she had."

I've done this. We have too many autoimmune issues in our family for me to remember them all when I see a new doctor. Besides, It's more efficient to bring my own printed history along than to take the time to try to squeeze the writing it into their tiny little family history box while I'm sitting in the waiting room.  :huh: