Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KJF

Interpreting Child's Lab Results - Elevated Tissue Transglutaminase

Hi - I'm new to this forum and have a question regarding my 9yo son's labs.  I recently had him tested through Enterolabs.  His results, via fecal testing, were as follows:

IgA for gliadin - 46 units (with normal being under 10 units)

IgA for egg - 18 units (with normal being under 10 units)

IgA for milk - 11 units (with normal being under 10 units)

IgA for soy - 16 units (with normal being under 10 units)

Anti Tissue Transglutaminase - 35 units (with normal being under 10 units)

Fat absorption was completely normal.

We also had the cheek swab gene testing done.  He does not have either HLA DQ2 or HLA DQ8 (subunit B only - subunit A not done).  He did, however, have HLA DQ 0301 (subunit B).  The report indicated that HLA DQ 0301 showed a gluten sensitivity.

My question is, how is it possible that his Tissue Transglutaminase is positive yet he does not seem to have the gene(s) for celiac.  I have read that it can be a sign of inflammatory bowel syndrome but he does not have the symptoms associated with this.  I am anxious for an answer simply so that we can begin to help him in the right way.

Any guidance would be appreciated.  We will be following up with his pedi but I want to have as much information as possible.

Thank you!

Thank you for the link re fecal testing.  I am so new to this....and the various tests available.  I had asked my pedi for blood work in July but he was dismissive.  The fecal test seemed like a good option in that it was non-invasive, could be done at home, and I could do it without my doctor.  Honestly, because it's my young son, I am trying to get some answers....any answers :)

Do you think that there is any validity in the Tissue Transglutaminase number from Enterolab?  I feel like, given the positive result, something is going on and I need to pursue it with my pediatrician.  Regardless of what my pediatrician thinks, I will show him the Enterolab results and ask for blood work.  I guess this is a learning process.

If the child is eating gluten, insist on the blood work. And,... No, I don't think there is any validity in a fecal test being positive. I have never heard of anyone who sends it in and asks for " Celiac/ gluten" testing to be disappointed and have a negative. They have to justify the $300+ .

I know you want the little one to feel better, but there are a lot of slick websites and pseudo docs on the Internet that will tell you what you want to hear.