Rate this topic

On 4/21/2014 at 9:12 AM, jpt2014 said:

Just thought I'd update for anyone else searching on this topic who may see this post.

In my 8th month gluten-free and enjoying the continued settled stomach, will stick with it.

Still have brain fog and phlegm, but still hopeful it will lift in time.

Seen head and ENT doctors, had all manner of head scans and blood tests. Nothing abnormal found.

For the past 7 days I've tried an elimination diet, just veg (not potatos, tomato), fruit (not citrus), rice, sea salt and oil.

It is very boring.

Felt worse for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th day, just back to normal fog/phlegm levels now.

I'm sticking with it to see what happens.

The fog came on slowly so I expect it'll be slow to go.

Good luck to anyone else who's having issues, especially the above people who posted.

I say cut the rice.  Seeet potatoes are ok.  Look at the AIP food lists.

3 hours ago, Estes said:

I say cut the rice.  Seeet potatoes are ok.  Look at the AIP food lists.

Rice can have a similar effect to gluten on your brain, with the gluten like starch.  Sweet potato is a complex food like potatoes so although I don't strictly rule it out, some people would still have a problem with it... nothing to do with the AIP food list.

This is the diet I have been on! It got rid of the horrendous brain fog. I do not eat anything processed. I cook everything from scratch and have a gluten-free home. My health has improved ten fold and I had the diet assessed by a medical professional and it's nutritionally complete. The research I found suggests there is a range of reactivity with some reacting to smaller amounts of gluten than others so a grain-free diet in particular can benefit some who are still symptomatic on a standard gluten free diet. It was an adjustment to begin with but so happy I stuck with it.