Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chefjen

What To Do...

I know you probably hear the same questions day in and day out. But here is my story and my questions, I hope to find some good information here. :)

My name is Jennifer and I am a pastry chef. Yes you read that right. A pastry chef. I make wedding cakes, sculpted cakes and anything else that you can possibly make with flour. I am a small business owner.

I have always had pretty severe joint pain, psoriasis, hives, and IBS. My mother has arthritis and so I figured it went with the heritage. About 6 months ago it all started to get much worse, I had an arthritis panel done, got referred to see a dermatologist, and an allergist (I thought my allergies has gotten worse). Started dealing with insomnia, severe fatigue, couldn't sleep due to pain in my legs and hips. Would wake up itching. It was awful. Not to mention more and more I looked pregnant. (I am not)

Went out to a Chinese food restaurant with my husband and ended up having to leave in the middle of the meal, thought someone around me must have a cat and my allergies are acting horrendous. Couldn't breathe, nose and whole face itched terrible, went home and had Benadryl. Found out later, soy sauce is made of wheat... So why isn't it called wheat sauce.......

Then about 1-2 months ago I come across a friend who is celiac positive and we began talking and she said "omg you have to stop eating wheat" .... Fast forward and I am almost a month wheat free.. I have lost 10lbs, I am pain free, my skin is almost cleared up, and I have no headaches, no gut pain, vertigo, or fogginess. One day about a week ago I had a food item I didn't check the ingredients to and it had wheat in it, I was up all night in a rash my stomach was like I ate glass and I was miserable. I got up and checked the ingredients and low and behold it contained wheat.

So here is my issue.. I read if I am gluten free the testing will not come back celiac. Also is celiac the same as being allergic to wheat or is there a difference.

I have a call in to get an appointment with my general dr. Or do I switch to a GI?

Thank you for all the help.

Chef Jen

I know you probably hear the same questions day in and day out. But here is my story and my questions, I hope to find some good information here. :)

My name is Jennifer and I am a pastry chef. Yes you read that right. A pastry chef. I make wedding cakes, sculpted cakes and anything else that you can possibly make with flour. I am a small business owner.

I have always had pretty severe joint pain, psoriasis, hives, and IBS. My mother has arthritis and so I figured it went with the heritage. About 6 months ago it all started to get much worse, I had an arthritis panel done, got referred to see a dermatologist, and an allergist (I thought my allergies has gotten worse). Started dealing with insomnia, severe fatigue, couldn't sleep due to pain in my legs and hips. Would wake up itching. It was awful. Not to mention more and more I looked pregnant. (I am not)

Went out to a Chinese food restaurant with my husband and ended up having to leave in the middle of the meal, thought someone around me must have a cat and my allergies are acting horrendous. Couldn't breathe, nose and whole face itched terrible, went home and had Benadryl. Found out later, soy sauce is made of wheat... So why isn't it called wheat sauce.......

Then about 1-2 months ago I come across a friend who is celiac positive and we began talking and she said "omg you have to stop eating wheat" .... Fast forward and I am almost a month wheat free.. I have lost 10lbs, I am pain free, my skin is almost cleared up, and I have no headaches, no gut pain, vertigo, or fogginess. One day about a week ago I had a food item I didn't check the ingredients to and it had wheat in it, I was up all night in a rash my stomach was like I ate glass and I was miserable. I got up and checked the ingredients and low and behold it contained wheat.

So here is my issue.. I read if I am gluten free the testing will not come back celiac. Also is celiac the same as being allergic to wheat or is there a difference.

I have a call in to get an appointment with my general dr. Or do I switch to a GI?

Thank you for all the help.

Chef Jen

In regards to testing, you are right. You have been gluten free too long for the blood tests to come back. You would have to do a gluten challenge for a while.

No, celiac is an AI disease in which the body attacks the small intestine in response to gluten (which includes wheat, barley, and rye).

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faqs

Poke around that site a bit. It has a lot of useful information.