This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Try Nectresse? Thoughts?

tonalynn

tonalynn Explorer

Hello all!

I'm a newly diagnosed Celiac, and have been gluten free for a whopping 18 days! I have been happily surprised at all the gluten free options I'm finding, particularly since I am a substitution focused person, rather than an eliminating foods person. I'm curious and looking forward to trying all sorts of new gluten free options, from tortillas made from rice flour to gluten free cookie dough!

Even though this is not related to my Celiac, my naturopath recommended I stop using Splenda. I really only use it for my coffee, on my cereal (hot and cold) or if I'm making cinnamon toast. If I'm baking I use plain old sugar.

I can't tolerate the taste of stevia, it's waaaay to sweet to me, and has a funny aftertaste. I like having something portable, like the Splenda packets, so if I'm out and want coffee I can use my own sweetener if the cafe/restaurant doesn't have it.

I came across Nectresse recently, a product from Splenda. I tried Monk Fruit in the Raw, and found it wasn't sweet enough. Nectresse is a blend of monk fruit, erythritol, sugar and molasses. There's not enough sugar in it to create calories, and it tastes ok without being overly sweet. Has anyone else used this? What are your thoughts?

In a typical day, I would only use between 2-5 packets of Splenda (2 in a cup of coffee, 1 to 2 cups per day, so that's a max of 4 packets) and if I'm having cereal or cinnamon toast, 1 packet. I plan on swapping for the same number of Nectresse packets. I've read that too much erythritol causes GI symptoms, but does anyone know how much is "too much?"

I realize I could just swap for sugar, but that would be 4-10 teaspoons of sugar per day. I'm already a sugar junkie, things like chocolate or ice cream are part of my day. I'm trying to cut extra sugar where I can, and it's just silly to even think about cutting out ice cream or chocolate. Let's be REAL, for crying out loud! ;-)

I'm interested to hear other's opinions here. I've seen some terrific, thoughtful and supportive comments on here, so let's continue that with this topic! :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I have never found an artificial sweetener with gluten.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Adalaide Mentor

I also have never seen an artificial sweetener with gluten. That said, every person is different. Some tolerate large amounts of some things with no issues while some simply don't tolerate the any. For instance my husband can not tolerate the sugar substitute in sugar free candies in any amount without getting violently ill. On the other hand, I can eat a few pieces and only get a little gassy. Lots of people eat it with no issue at all. Only you will know if something causes you problems. If you find that you are continuing to have GI symptoms, you'll have to consider that it is possibly the sweetener causing the problem.

bartfull Rising Star

There are only 16 calories in a teaspoon of sugar. Even on days you have five, it is only 80 calories. I think a better way to cut calories would be to reduce the portions of ice cream or chocolate, just by a little bit.

Also, be aware that most gluten-free substitutes have WAY more calories than their gluten counterparts.

Archived