This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Bad Breath With Celiac Disease?

Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

I am new to this site, so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong forum thread - but I was not sure where else to post this. I was diagnosed with celiac disease just over three months ago (early July) and I have been avoiding gluten since then. My boyfriend has recently told me that since the diagnosis, my breath has been - bad, for lack of a better word. The strange thing is that I have very good oral hygiene - I brush my teeth twice a day, I floss, I only drink water - and I've never had a cavity. I just went to the dentist a few days ago and she once again told me how clean my teeth are, and there was no mention of any bad breath. I don't taste or smell anything different. I've read that bad breath is a symptom of celiac disease and that it can have something to do with your gut issues, not your oral hygiene - but the problem is that even after I drink plenty of water and even about an hour after I brush my teeth, he still notices it. It's really embarrassing and I'm not sure how to fix it. What else can I do but take care of my mouth/teeth? My doctor told me I have a problem with stomach acid, so I'm wondering if that will stop it. Also, I was looking into gluten free mouth wash and I was happy to discover the Tom's of Maine mouthwash in my cabinet was gluten free...but I woke up today with a terrible aftertaste. There's no way I can keep using that, I feel like it will make it worse. Does anyone have any similar experiences, or can anyone recommend a decent gluten free mouthwash? I'm perplexed by this...I've never had anyone say anything about my breath and my oral hygiene is, again, impeccable. This is terribly embarrassing and I don't know what to do about it. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I use Crest Pro Health rinse.  Like you said, there are many causes of bad bread.  Here is some information on the subject, it might help you find the cause.

Open Original Shared Link

Colleen

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply. :) I actually read from another member that her son was diagnosed with lactose intolerance and he was told that's what caused his bad breath. I am lactose intolerant as well! I guess I'll be cutting back on dairy and using my lactaid pills more often - I only use them for high lactose dairy products, I don't bother when eating cheese, sour cream, etc - so I'm not absorbing it properly. What a relief! That has to be it.

answerseeker Enthusiast

Did you have an endoscopy done? My husband said after my endoscopy my breath was really bad for some time. Maybe it's because the tube makes stuff come up (I also have GERD) I don't know but he said in 17 years if marriage that was the first time he ever noticed it.

Archived