anjacherry

My Experience, New Member, Gluten Intolerant And A Lot To Learn

Rate this topic

Hi all, i am new to this forum. I have been gluten free for a week now. i have suffered from bad constipation (to a point of bleeding) with the occasional explosion when eating certain food, really itchy skin, headaches  and bizarre mood swings and extreme tiredness and brain fog ever since i was a child until last week someone said to me it sounds like you are gluten intolerant. So i did some research and wow i am amazed, this seems to be the answer to all my heath problems for the last 35 years i used to think i suffer from spouts of depression but after only one week of going gluten free i feel fantastic, no bloating, no tiredness, no headaches, no dizzy spells, no belly aches, no mood swing, no toilet-problems no brain fog and my skin is much better. I eat very healthy now fresh fruit, veg, salads, rice and potatoes, fresh meat and gluten free bread (and biscuits). not had anything processed all week and don't really miss it that much.   The only downside is the hunger, not found a lot of quick snack solutions yet as sometimes the fruit just don't hit the spot but its early days and i still have a lot to learn about it all. I am surprised as to how disciplined i am, and my family has noticed a big difference in me. I have always had a very low sex drive but even this has started to increase, i read gluten can kill your sex drive if intolerant and i would really like to hear other peoples experience with this problem in particular. thanks for taking the time to read this fellow sufferers xx 

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am not sure if i want to go to the doctors with it. How is it diagnosed as i read somewhere its done by blood test and would mean going back to eating gluten in order for it to show up, is that right? I don't think i want to go back as i feel great now and cant wait for my body to properly heal itself . I think i will just carry on doing what i am doing for now and next time i am going to see my nurse to get my repeat for contraception i will mention it to her and see what she suggests. xx 

You've only been gluten-free a week so if you test immediately, or add a couple of days of gluten eating, you should have an accurate test result - especially if multiple tests are run. The problem comes if you want to get tested a few months from now, then you would have to eat gluten for a couple of months for accurate testing... Nasty!

I'm glad you are feeling so much better already! Welcome to the board.  :)

Regarding the sex drive, feeling not death-like will increase the response to sexual intimacy :P  I have never seen any research that specifically links sex drive to gluten.  On another note, un-diagnosed Celiac Disease can contribute to fertility problems when and if you do decide to have children. 

Hope you do well.

Colleen

Hiya, and thanks for your reply, you are probably right its the way gluten made me feel that killed my sex drive. But that was one of the first things i found when i started researching gluten intolerance. On one  website some guy said how since going gluten free he cant stop flirting literally with any woman he speaks to lol and he even had gluten to test if it really is the gluten and the desire to flirt stopped.

I had no problem fallen pregnant, when we decided to try for a baby, but had trouble gaining weight throughout the pregnancy and she was born very small only 4lb8. perhaps that's why. :-)

I have the same experience as you when it comes to the sex drive. For me, I think gluten has been effecting my hormons, and that has messed with my mood, my weight, my periods, skin, sexdrive and maybe some more things that I haven't noticed yet. I have never ever had  of totally regular periods where you know almost exactly the date in advance, and also I used to have about 4-6 weeks between them. But it was alwas like that, so I didn't think that much about it. But after going glutenfree, they became absolutly regular, to the date, with a normal 4 week cycle. And with that, my sexdrive showed up, and my husband is very happy :)