melonjello

Does This Sound Like Celiac Or Ibs?

Rate this topic

I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist but it isn't for another month. I've already visited my primary care physician who tested me for a gluten allergy (which came back negative) and said my issues might be related to dairy. I've cut dairy out of my diet and it doesn't seem to be helping.

My symptoms started about 6 months ago and I'm frequently bloated and have gas. I also have frequent GI issues with loose/runny stools, which seems to come in waves. I've also been battling fatigue for the past few months. I'm a long distance runner and I'm able to battle the fatigue to keep training but I often feel like I'm going to fall asleep at work or driving home. I'm curious if anyone has similar symptoms to me and was diagnosed with either celiac or IBS.

Many of us were diagnosed with IBS years before we discovered we actually had celiac disease. Just to be clear, celiac disease is an autoimmune disease and not an allergy.

Did you have a celiac disease panel completed? 

It should include the following-

Total IgA

tTG IgA and IgG

DGP IgA and IgG

EMA IgA

If you haven't had the panel run yet, have your PCP run that while your waiting for your GI appt. Make sure you stay on gluten while you are having ALL of your testing done or you may get a false negative result.

I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist but it isn't for another month. I've already visited my primary care physician who tested me for a gluten allergy (which came back negative) and said my issues might be related to dairy. I've cut dairy out of my diet and it doesn't seem to be helping.

My symptoms started about 6 months ago and I'm frequently bloated and have gas. I also have frequent GI issues with loose/runny stools, which seems to come in waves. I've also been battling fatigue for the past few months. I'm a long distance runner and I'm able to battle the fatigue to keep training but I often feel like I'm going to fall asleep at work or driving home. I'm curious if anyone has similar symptoms to me and was diagnosed with either celiac or IBS.

I had fatigue and could fight it in the beginning by being active.  I did tend to feel really sleepy when I sat down.  I have had trouble reading books or anything sitting because of sleepiness.  My major symptoms were brain fog and fatigue.  I also had bloating and was mistaken for pregnant sometimes.  I had big dental problems in spite of brushing.  I got my diagnosis for celiac about 18 months back.