This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Random Question About Lowish But Normal Iga Numbers

3groovygirls

3groovygirls Contributor

Hi everyone!

I have a question about total IgA numbers.  I have a daughter with Celiac disease.  I decided to go to a GI and get tested as I can tell I am gluten sensitive.  I was eating about 85% gluten-free at the time.  My IgA number was 90.  (I also had the genetic test and found I have the gene) It is passing.  My question is, if I was 85% gluten-free should it have been higher.  Do you think eating that gluten-free made me just barely pass?

The reason I ask is, I still eat mostly gluten-free but now if I eat gluten (beer, the other day bread) I get SO SICK.  I ate bread last Monday and I swear I was sick till Saturday!  Makes me wonder if my gluten sensitivity is worse.  My GI Dr. said I am at high risk for Celiac disease b/c of the gene and my daughter so eat as little gluten as I can to avoid full blown  Celiac.  I have been but this getting SO SICK from gluten is a recent change.  Makes me wonder if my original test was affected by the fact that I was partially gluten-free.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome!

The Total Serum IgA is simply a test to make sure you have enough IgA to make the IgA based celiac antibody tests accurate. Do you have the range specified for thiss result of 90? Did you have any celiac antibody tests run?

If you were mostly gluten-free before any celiac antibody tests, the results could be inaccurate.

Additionally, your increased reaction to gluten after removing most of it sounds like you may indeed have celiac disease already...did your GI consider an endoscopy with biopsies?

To review...normal testing would happen before gluten is removed or after a gluten challenge and would consist of complete celiac antibody panel with possible endoscopy.

3groovygirls Contributor

Welcome!

The Total Serum IgA is simply a test to make sure you have enough IgA to make the IgA based celiac antibody tests accurate. Do you have the range specified for thiss result of 90? Did you have any celiac antibody tests run?

If you were mostly gluten-free before any celiac antibody tests, the results could be inaccurate.

Additionally, your increased reaction to gluten after removing most of it sounds like you may indeed have celiac disease already...did your GI consider an endoscopy with biopsies?

To review...normal testing would happen before gluten is removed or after a gluten challenge and would consist of complete celiac antibody panel with possible endoscopy.

Thanks so much!!

Yes, the ran all sorts of tests which will are very negative.  Here they are:

Deamin GLIAD PEP IGG (DPG IGG) (<4.9)  I got <0.4

"                              " IGA (DGP IGA) (<6.1)  I got 0.3

Tissue Transglutaminase IGA (<10.3)  I got 0.2

Total IGA (44-441)  I got 90

Then it also says I have the DQ2.5HLA(HLA DQA*05:DQB1*0201)and other risk alleles.

Category %R4

DQ Genotype C

Relative Risk:  (High)

But, like I said this was Jan 2012.  So almost 2 years ago.  I cut out most of my gluten before this test simply b/c my daughter has full blown Celaics. Then I started putting things together  - like I hate Italian food, but when I switched to rice pasta fine!  HOWEVER, recently I have seen a switch to just being "bothered" if I eat gluten (Ie, diarrhea) to full on feeling HORRIBLE and tired and exhausted and sick for nearly a week after I have more than a few bites.  so it made me re check my tests and ask here - if that total IGG was on the low side of normal if that meant anything considering I was mostly gluten-free.  I checked before I had the test and while I was eating gluten I'm not sure if I was eating ENOUGH for accurate results.

Archived