Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Co_kmc

Diagnosis After 2 Mos Strict Paleo

Rate this topic

I'm new here. Strict paleo for 2 mos to resolve issues on my own. Got busy and ate subway. Flatbread - after all. I was never officially diagnosed with an allergy. I ended up in the hospital - which showed inflamed intestines. Was released. Haven't felt well since. GI doc doesn't seem to listen - keeps pushing colonoscopy and Chrons rather than the item that I feel triggered this all. Has anyone "self glutenized" and began testing? I have a feeling this is related to eating. I have a celiac + panel scheduled and hope to find relief soon.

By "self glutenized" you mean eating gluten again to prepare yourself for a Celiac panel, right? It's called a gluten challenge. When is your Celiac panel scheduled for? Because you will need to be eating gluten for several weeks/months in order to hope to get an accurate test reading. 

More info here (from the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center):

What is a gluten challenge?

A gluten challenge is the period of time when gluten is added back into a person’s diet to assist in the diagnosis of celiac disease. Antibodies take time to build into the blood stream before they can be detected through blood analysis. For a gluten challenge we recommend eating 1/2 slice of bread or a cracker each day for the duration of the challenge.

• Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten.
  • Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten.

In the case of a severe reaction to gluten, a medical professional may opt to shorten the 12-week challenge and move immediately to an endoscopic biopsy.