Rate this topic

4 months ago I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and have slowly been getting better.  I just have one question about something that has happened to me about 4 times now and it happened again yesterday.  I start out with stomach pain and gas, then my vision gets kind of blurry (hard to focus on one thing especially on the computer screen), my eyes get watery especially my left one, then I get light headed and feel like I am going to black out, then I start shivering uncontrollably for about an hour, and then it pretty much goes away.  The last two times this has happened I realized that I had eaten ice cream the day before and I am allergic to milk.  I have been on a stick gluten free diet for the last 4 months.  My only doubt is that I live in Guatemala and recently ate steak which has MSG in it.  I am not sure if the MSG here has gluten in it or not.  Anyways, does anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong.  My thyroid was tested and it is normal.  The test I had done were for T3 - 1, T4 - 7.8, and TSH - 2.22 which all are normal.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Another thing is that my body temperature today is 97.7 and when I start shaking I feel like I am cold and start sweating.

Edited by wilderdaniel

MSG, even though similar sounding, does not contain gluten in the US.  Now, I think it can be made from any grain source, so it is possible that the manufacturer of the one you consumed could have made it from wheat.  If you are able to get the information from where you ate the steak, ask them what brand of MSG they use, then contact the manufacturer to see if they source it from wheat.  I have also heard people who are intolerant to both gluten and MSG say their reaction to MSG mimics their gluten reaction.

Also, when I first read your post and the symptoms you described, it sounds a lot like it could be a migraine.  It could be a migraine that is food triggered by milk like you say you accidentally ate.  If you have trouble pinpointing what is causing it, it may be a good idea to keep a food diary, that way when you have weird symptoms you can go back and see what you ate and remember a little easier.