Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rate this topic

Hi :)

I had never really thought about being celiac my entire life. I've always known about it because my grandma on my dad's side is celiac, both her daughters (not my dad but he's never been tested) and all my girl cousins.

Recently I was diagnosed with alopecia areata after finding a bald spot. The dr told me to go online and look up info. I found information relating anemia to it which I was also just diagnosed with and celiac.

I have read about it and I read something about miscarriages and baby's born early attributed to it. I lost 2 pregnancies. One later and one early. All of the babies I carried to term I had hypermesis and the drs couldn't figure out what caused it. Causing me to come into the hospital for iv. They were all born 2 weeks early. And healthy

I have had constipation my entire life but lately it goes from that to pooping diareah all day. Tmi sorry

I also look pregnant and this is within the last year. My weight is the same but my stomach is huge. I look easily 7 months along sometimes.

I have a dr appt in a couple days and I was going to talk to him about it but we live in a very small town where drs don't really do much so I thought I would ask here to see if it's worth talking to the dr about.

Also in the past year my back has been so itchy all the time, no rash and eczema started on my hands but I've never had that problem before either.

Those are definitely symptoms... I myself was mistaken for being pg a few times, and I wasn't that heavy, just really bloated in the belly.

I think you might as well be tested. Do NOT stop eating gluten before you test or it could cause false negative results. About 2 slices of bread per day (or equivalent) for about 2-3 months should give you your best chance at an accurate test.

The full celiac panel is:

• tTG IgA and tTG IgG - most common tests
  • DGP IgA and DGP IgG - new tests that are good for finding early cases of celiac disease
  • EMA IgA - tends to be positive in more advanced cases
  • total serum IgA - a control test to determine if you make enough IgA for accurate testing, 5% of celiacs don't
  • AGA IgA and AGA IgG - an older and less reliable test that is thought by some to show gluten sensitivity in those with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI)

The first three tests show that your body is attempting to damage your intestinal villi.

There is also the endoscopic biopsy...

This reposrt has more info on the tests from page 10-13:

http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

Welcome to the board.  :)

Thanks so much for the reply. I will ask my dr for them! I of course thought about a ton of other "symptoms" after I posted the first post.

Headaches

Brain fog

Forgetful

Yeast infections

Uti all the time

Really long periods (I don't think this is related but it's annoying)