This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pre-Endoscopy Question

SimonSez0721

SimonSez0721 Rookie

Well, Tuesday is the big day! After my request for a celiac panel turned up unremarkable, like the rest of my Fibromyalgia-life, my PCP finally got tired of listening to my post-gallbladder removal complaints and sent me to a GI.

My new GI took one look at me at decided to do three things: an ultrasound in case I have a small gallstone hanging out in a bile duct somewhere and wreaking havoc, and a dual-purposed endoscopy. First, he is going to do a visual exam for a small ulcer which would not have been picked up by my recent barium contrast MRI. (I guess those only catch 30% of ulcers!). Second, he is going to do the biopsies required for in his words the "good-standard" test for Celiac.

Here is my question, my gallbladder just came out 2 years ago. I have had non-digestive Celiac related symptoms my entire life and especially for the last 25 years. However, my Tummy Troubles really began when I lost my gallbladder. Which leaves me to think that while Celiac was damaging my gallbladder, my gallbladder may have been doing its level best to help keep my gut in check. So, my question then is, if that is true, and if I am Celiac, will two years without my gallbladder have allowed for enough physical evidence to be present when my doctor does the biopsy? I can't stand the thought of another "everything is fine" result if it truly isn't.

Thanks,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

As long as you are eating a gluten filled diet, if you have Celiac, that should be enough to, hopefully, find any damage. Remember that damage can be patchy and you could have Celiac and end up with a negative biopsy.  In that case, a dietary trial would be in order.

Good luck!

SimonSez0721 Rookie

Thank you for the information, I am still on gluten, and for your well wishes. I' confess that i'll be happy to get this behind me one way or the other.

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome!

I agree with Gemini - if your biopsies are negative - do remove ALL gluten for at least three months (six is better).

Also, do you have written or electronic results of your Celiac Antibody Panel?  If not, request them - not all doctors run the complete panel.  If you are unsure of the results, post them and we can help -- same goes for your endoscopic procedural and pathology reports.

Good Luck :)

SimonSez0721 Rookie

Thank you for your advice. I did have a Celiac panel run, but the lab results seem only to have two of the four results the doctor requested reported. I called my PCP to get another copy of the results but have not heard back yet.

My TTG is 3. The Reference range states that 19 or less is negative so that looks quite negative to my eye.

It states that the Reticulin AB, screen, was negative so the Reticulin Ab, IgA titer was not performed.

The only reference I can find to Endomysial AB, IgA looks more like a reference range than my numbers because it is recorded as <1:10. I'm not sure if I actually received a value for this or not.

Very strange report.

I'll try to get a better report and also my endoscopy results and see what you guys think. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate everyone who takes the time to give me support whenever I have a question. Thank you all! I'm learning so much from your generosity!

Archived