Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey I just recieved my results. Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Component Standard Range Your Value Flag INTERP HLA   SEE NOTE   The patient has one of the HLA-DQ variants associated
with celiac disease.
More than 97% of celiac disease patients carry either
HLA-DQ2(DQA1@05/DQB1@02) or HLA-DQ8(DQA1@03/DQB1@0302)
or both. However, 39% of the general U.S. population
carry these HLA-DQ variants, as a consequence, the
presence of HLA-DQ2 or DQ8 or both variants is not per
se diagnostic of celiac disease. HLA-DQ2   Negative   HLA-DQ8   Positive   HLA-DQA1 PT1   01   HLA-DQA1 PT2   03   HLA-DQB1 PT1   0302   HLA-DQB1 PT2   0602

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Not sure what your question is, so I'll answer what I think it is. Just having a gene for celiac doesn't mean you have celiac.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/do-most-people-with-celiac-disease-have-the-gene-turned-on-at-birth

Do most people with celiac disease have the gene turned on at birth?

For celiac disease to develop, you don’t just need the gene(s), but also the contribution of several environmental factors (the first one being gluten, of course), hence the fact that celiac disease can appear at any time and at any age for those who have the gene(s).

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/if-i-have-a-gene-for-celiac-disease-does-that-i-mean-i-have-it

If I have a gene for celiac disease, does that I mean I have it?

Genetics don’t diagnose celiac disease. They do, however, clarify whether an individual is “at-risk” for it. If this is the case, you should closely monitor your symptoms and submit to blood tests every 2-3 years or immediately upon the sight of symptoms. When the genetic predisposition for celiac disease was detected (on Chromosome 6) researchers noted that the genes were a necessary but not sufficient condition for the disease to develop. In fact, up to 1/3 of the U.S. population has the genes for celiac disease. Meaning, those who have the DQ2 or DQ8 gene can develop celiac disease at any time, but only about 5% of those people actually will.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

The other thing to take into account is that it's not just you learning, it's the people that live with you. You will make mistakes in the beginning and that's with you being celiac. Other people don't even think about cross contamination...
    More than likely you have Celiac Disease. You can't know for sure that it's celiac vs another disease without the biopsy but with your labs it's probably 90%+ Celiac Disease. Drs will typically not want to comment on the diagnosis until they...
    Hello everyone. I'm 46 and have suffered from a myriad of symptoms for the past 25 years (diarrhea/constipation, rashes, reflux, fatigue, mouth ulcers, allergy symptoms, eye inflammation, brain fog, pressure headaches, hearing loss, more recently...