Abbyrg

How Much Gluten To Eat Before Endoscopy?

Rate this topic

Hi,

So my doctor didn't tell me anything about my test results other than that they were "inconclusive" and that I need an endoscopy/biopsy. At this point I have so many symptoms that I would be pretty shocked if it was negative. I know I can't stop eating gluten before the endoscopy (which is in 2 weeks) but I am wondering to what degree I can reduce my gluten intake? Do I need to be eating it every meal? Every day? Thanks for your help!

Thank you!

Another question I have is whether the sedation for an endoscopy is usually similar to what you get for having your wisdom teeth out? I have a VERY intense gag reflex and am kind of anxious about the procedure. But I remember that whatever they were giving me through the IV for my wisdom teeth I had no idea what was happening so that would be good.

I wish i didn't have to wait 2 weeks! So anxious to find out the results

I am having the upper endoscopy biopsy this Wednesday.  I am also having colonoscopy same day.  I joked to the doc will he "meet in the middle of me?"  I am told I will be knocked out for both. I asked did I have to swallow the tubing, etc. and he said no I'll be unconscious.  I don't know how they do what they do and I'm scared/nervous, but it is what it is.  And, I don't even have the blood test results yet, which seems backwards to me.

Most doctors use sedation that makes you feel like you had a good nap....I have heard the rare story of patients not being sedate enough.  Just make sure to discuss your gag reflex and your desire to be sedate during the procedure.

Wouldn't worry very much for the double ender...they used more sedation when I had both ends done at once than my previous three endos.

But always a good idea to make sure the doc is clear that you'd like to not be awake for the procedure.

This is sedation, not anesthesia...you wake up within minutes of the procedure and remain a bit groggy for awhile so you do need a ride home B)