This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help

emmah

emmah Newbie

I hope this is the right place that I can ask for help. I have been trolling the internet looking for somewhere to ask my questions.

I have been diagnosed as having allergies to Yeast, Tomatos and dairy. Dairy and tomoatos aren't so bad, I have been dairy free now for a year as I always felt unwell when I ate dairy products. The yeast is getting to me. The list of foods I can't eat is huge and majority of them play a big part of my diet right now.

Walking through the supermarket I cried at the small amount of things I can eat. I brought the yeast free/ Gluten free bread and it is horrible. Im scared that I am not going to be able to stick to this diet but the side effects of this allergy are horrible and I have been waiting 2 years to find out what the hell was wrong with me. I guess my biggest thing that I am wanting it some reassurance from people suffering from the same thing, that there is foods that I can have when we go for dinner etc.

Thank you all for your time

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Eat tortillas! Eat rice and have a cupcake made with a milk substitute. Just don' t eat bread and donuts!

Obviously this is celiac website. Has celiac disease been ruled out? You said that you feel better without dairy, but you know for sure that yeast and tomatoes make you sick?

Giving up tomatoes means giving up peppers and potatoes too.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Eat tortillas! Eat rice and have a cupcake made with a milk substitute. Just don' t eat bread and donuts!

Obviously this is celiac website. Has celiac disease been ruled out? You said that you feel better without dairy, but you know for sure that yeast and tomatoes make you sick?

Giving up tomatoes means giving up peppers and potatoes too.

I am allergic to tomatoes. I have no issues thus far with potatoes. Are you thinking of a nightshade intolerance rather than an allergy?

cyclinglady Grand Master

I do not know. I am only an expert regarding my allergies and intolerances. Ha! I am allergic to eggs, nuts, garlic and milk proteins. If I consume anything related to garlic (onions, leeks, etc.) I react the same way (congestion, itchy mouth, intestinal cramping, rash). Same goes for nuts. If it grows on a tree I am allergic to it, but I am fine with peanuts which are a legume.

Emmah might consider testing out the rest of the nightshade family if she has been told that she is allergic to tomatoes.

There is a lot of dispute on how to define an allergy and I am not going to get into it. My MD, who is an allergist, did the skin scratch testing and told me what I was allergic to which is basically what my mom, brother and I have known forever. Unfortunately, these same allergies are popping up in the grand kids.

I just hope Emma is on the right path.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I do not know. I am only an expert regarding my allergies and intolerances. Ha! I am allergic to eggs, nuts, garlic and milk proteins. If I consume anything related to garlic (onions, leeks, etc.) I react the same way (congestion, itchy mouth, intestinal cramping, rash). Same goes for nuts. If it grows on a tree I am allergic to it, but I am fine with peanuts which are a legume.

Emmah might consider testing out the rest of the nightshade family if she has been told that she is allergic to tomatoes.

There is a lot of dispute on how to define an allergy and I am not going to get into it. My MD, who is an allergist, did the skin scratch testing and told me what I was allergic to which is basically what my mom, brother and I have known forever. Unfortunately, these same allergies are popping up in the grand kids.

I just hope Emma is on the right path.

True enough :)

I don't eat peppers and the rest, just potatoes on occasion.

Deekle Newbie

As has been stated, this is a celiac site, and celiac in itself would not preclude us from eating dairy, yeast or tomatoes.  That said, all celiacs are experienced with having to tinker with their diet.  You're right.  A lot of that gluten free stuff tastes like garbage!  That said, there are also a lot of good things out there.  If I had to eliminate yeast, tomatoes and dairy, I would look into asian or south american cuisine if I were going out to eat.  There should be some good options.  Obviously a good steakhouse is still in as well.  Pasta is going to be difficult as most will have either dairy or tomato included. 

At home...I'd invest in a rice cooker.  You can make some amazing stir-fry that is going to be free of your allergens and gluten free as well.  Throw some seasoned chicken in with the stir-fry veggies for a great meal.

kareng Grand Master

Being allergic to yeast doesn't mean you have to eat gluten free. You might want to google recipes for yeast free things - you could use baking soda or baking powder to help things like cookies & cakes rise. Might be harder to get good bread.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

emmah Newbie

Thanks everyone for the help. I guess it just seems so hard going from eating whatever I like to being what seems so restricted.

Archived