Celiacandme

Lupus/scleroderma/other Autoimmune Diseases

Rate this topic

YES! I was convinced I had Lupus because of the pain, and because I had a severe arthritic, fatigue, hair loss flare-up after being gluten-free about 3 months. It lasted 3 months.  Yuck. Happily it has been my last major flare-up. I have had minor flare-ups since going gluten-free, but nothing like I used too.  I do have other autoimmune problems so symptoms could also be partially from that.

Best wishes.

YES! I was convinced I had Lupus because of the pain, and because I had a severe arthritic, fatigue, hair loss flare-up after being gluten-free about 3 months. It lasted 3 months.  Yuck. Happily it has been my last major flare-up. I have had minor flare-ups since going gluten-free, but nothing like I used too.  I do have other autoimmune problems so symptoms could also be partially from that.

Best wishes.

Nicole,

Did you ever have any kind of rash on your face? So glad your flare ups have not been as bad as in the past.

Many of us have had multiple autoimmune diagnoses before gluten-free.  For myself, I had suspected lupus (with butterfly rash), sjogrens, reynolds, Fibro, sicca, connective tissue disease. Also had hip bursitis, peri-formis syndrome, sacroilitis...you get the picture.  At one time or another I was also put on Plaquenil, Methotrexate, Steroids, Skin desensitizers (fibro), muscle relaxers, pain killers, anti--inflammatories etc.  I was falling apart at 46 years old and had been for 15 some years.  Of all the issues listed, I have none of them now after 2 years gluten free.

I have heard this same story from so many with long undiagnosed celiac.  Gluten Free will not take away every health issue out there, but autoimmune diseases and inflammation issues seem to resolve.  There will always be collateral damage, some body parts are too damaged to heal properly but those are the minority.

Hang in there.

Colleen

Nicole,

Did you ever have any kind of rash on your face? So glad your flare ups have not been as bad as in the past.

Yes. I've had what looks like a butterfly rash (redness) for a few years. It fades a bit at some times, coincidentally when I feel well, and gets redder at other times. It could be a roseaca though as the rheumy is sure I do not ave lupus. I hope she is right but only more time will tell. I am hopeful she was right and it was all due to celiac disease.

Best wishes