This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test Results/gluten-free For A Yr

Julsmcy

Julsmcy Newbie

I have been gluten-free (or so I think) for about a year now. I am not sure if I have been missing hidden gluten. I was at an Allergist for another issue on Monday and was tested for celiac. Both of us thought it would come back negative because I haven’t been eating it for a year but to both our surprise, both tests were positive. Any opinion on why I would test positive without having eaten much gluten in the past year? I feel much better on a gluten-free diet and since I tested positive, is that a high indicator for having celiac? I know that I have to have the biopsy to completely know but what if that comes back negative? Does it negate everything else?

Test Results:

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IGA<15 negative- 53

GLIADIN (DEAMIDATED) IGA ANTIBODY <15 negative- 19.5

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

w8in4dave Community Regular

When you say "Haven't been eating much gluten gluten in the past year" could be the problem sweetie. You need to tighten up your diet! You need to remember Gluten Free is "Gluten Free" Not a haven't eaten much gluten.. If you have Celiac You need to be Gluten Free!! All the way!! Not Gluten light! 

Julsmcy Newbie

By saying "I haven't eaten much gluten", I just meant that I it is possible I have eaten hidden gluten in the past year and didn't realize it. I'm fallible. Gluten free definitely means no gluten  :). Is feeling much better on a gluten-free diet plus positive blood tests mean I have a high probability of having celiac or would a negative biopsy negate the blood test? My consultation with the GI isn't for three months so I am just curious about the biopsy. Thanks!

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Hi Julsmcy and Welcome!

With a ttg iga of 53, when anything over 15 is considered positive (if I'm reading that right) - you have Celiac.  And most likely you're still getting gluten from somewhere.  w8in4dave is correct - gluten free means gluten free.  100%.  No cheating.  Even if you aren't having symptoms, you're doing damage to your insides by eating gluten.  I didn't have any symptoms when I was diagnosed but my biopsy showed moderate to severe villi damage and I discovered that I have osteopenia at age 40.  If you're still eating enough gluten to have a significantly elevated ttg iga then it might be worth doing the biopsy - especially if that will help you to stick to a gluten free diet.  But no, a negative biopsy does not negate the blood test.  The inflammation and villi damage can be spotty and can be missed.

It doesn't take much gluten to have an elevated ttg iga.  You're still making antibodies - just a large army worth instead of a humungous army with a navy for back-up worth.  And those antibodies are literally killing you from the inside out. 

Julsmcy Newbie

Thanks NoGlutenCooties and W8in4Dave! I didn't have insurance until a month ago so it was a lot of figuring this out on my own. Thanks for the comments- I'm much clearer on what the positive blood tests really mean. I just need to do a little research on how to avoid the hidden stuff I'm missing (like cross contamination and restaurants). Any tips for a gluten free kitchen and eating at restaurants? My husband doesn't have an issue so do you have separate cookwear, etc? Thanks!

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Start with the newbie thread in the Coping section.  You definitely need a new toaster (if you're going to do gluten-free bread) and a new strainer (if you'll be doing gluten-free pasta) - anything that can hang onto crumbs and gunk where gluten can hide out.  Separate pans, dishes, etc. is not necessary as long as you wash them well.  Be careful about wiping down the counters before handling your food, etc.  You'll also need your own butter, peanut butter, mayo... anything that gets dipped back into with a dirty, crumby, gluten-containing knife.

Restaurants are tricky.  I suggest you stick with whole foods for the first few months - nothing processed - to let your system heal and let you get used to the whole gluten free lifestyle.  And make sure you're not cross-contaminating yourself.  Then consider trying the whole restaurant thing.  It can be overwhelming at first and taking it one step at a time makes it easier to deal with.

And by all means... come back here and ask lots of questions!  And let us know how you're doing!

Archived