Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

sweetsailing

Oral Thrush - Does The Fun Never End?

Rate this topic

Agghh...just when I thought I got this gluten free thing down and was doing well.  It appears, I have an overwhelming case of oral thrush.  And I have likely had it for awhile (as in months) before it had to get bad enough for me to notice. 

Has this happened to anyone else?  Some relation to diet change?  Celiac? 

I have no real reason to have this.  No antibiotics, no inhalers, no diabetes, no nothing.  The only thing that might make sense is a suppressed immune system.  Does celiac disease mess enough with your immune system that I could get thrush from it? 

Only other thing I can think of, is as I got better with being gluten free, I stopped taking the probiotics and the thrush seemed to show up shortly after stopping the probiotics. 

I don't know anything about the relationship of thrush to celiac, but I wanted to share a link that has helped me...just in case you're interested.

My second child and I had an insane case of thrush when he was a few months old.  Because he was a crazy nurser we couldn't get rid of it and tried EVERYTHING.  Eventually I found this link (http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html) and tried GFSE - only I was so crazy from the pain that I used the solution (10 drops GFSE to 1 ounce distilled water) ORALLY and not TOPICALLY.  I was doing it hourly and it cleared up within a day.  It was a serious miracle because we had both been in pain for a few months.  Once it cleared from my body he cleared up.

Good luck.  Thrush sucks!

Thanks for the info African Queen :)  I will have to look into that.  Right now I am taking Nystatin, so we will have to see how that goes.

When I asked my doctor about the connection with celiac disease, she seems to think there is a loose connection.  Meaning,

celiac disease = malaborption = poor nutrition = risk for thrush

I hope this goes away quickly.  No food tastes good right now. 

Thanks for the info African Queen :)  I will have to look into that.  Right now I am taking Nystatin, so we will have to see how that goes.

When I asked my doctor about the connection with celiac disease, she seems to think there is a loose connection.  Meaning,

celiac disease = malaborption = poor nutrition = risk for thrush

I hope this goes away quickly.  No food tastes good right now. 

Interesting...one of my celiac sons had oral thrush from about 9 months old for several years and then had mouth sores for the years that followed until he removed gluten at age 15. 

I had forgotten about the thrush, but its arrival did coincide with his eating more whole foods and cereal and less breast feeding -- interesting, not scientific but interesting to me none the less :)