BlessedMommy

"how Sensitive Are You?"

Rate this topic

As you know, this is usually a question from people who want to know if you will purposefully eat food that's been contaminated.  :rolleyes:

My situation is that given the severity of my high levels of gluten response, I would prefer not to tempt fate by being careless with lower levels. I did get a headache and a low grade fever the other day though after what I think was a slight gluten exposure. Sometimes I wonder though if that was gluten or something else.

So I do seem to get some responses to low level contamination but certainly not a rush trip to the ER. 

So, what's a meaningful and concise way to answer that question that doesn't give people too much detail but also doesn't lie? 

As you know, this is usually a question from people who want to know if you will purposefully eat food that's been contaminated.  :rolleyes:

Honestly, no. I do not know a single person in my life who would ask me if I would purposefully eat food that's been contaminated

with gluten. 

No one I know would ask such a stupid question of me. 

My cousin once asked me that question, when referring to a restaurant that stated as a disclaimer that cross contamination may occur. 

I sort of bumbled through an answer which boiled down to, "I use my common sense, ask questions, ask for accomodations, and avoid the chips made in the shared frier." 

On another occasion, I refused to eat my own dish at a potluck after someone CC'ed it. Someone said, "Well maybe you're not THAT allergic." 

I think that people just do not understand how ridiculous it is to mess around with something that could destroy your ability to function independently and speak correctly.

Of course, in this society, almost everybody seems to subscribe to the "a little won't hurt" mentality.  :blink:

I don't know about you but one of my problems pre-diagnosis was liver function test results that my doctor didn't like the look of.  I often get the impression that people think I am taking this gluten-free diet too far but when I say that gluten affects my liver they don't say any more.   

I think there is a huge difference between risking a slight cross contamination and eating a meal that you know contains an ingredient that has gluten. For me, a minor cross contamination could mean feeling lousy for a few days. A full-on glutening could mean all-over pain for weeks. 

I generally don't risk either, but everyone I know in real life who is gluten free (three total) takes many more risks than I do, eating out at restaurants that have gluten-free items on their menu, trying the food a coworker claims to be gluten free, eating the home-made foods friends gave them. And I know from their experience that they are not gluten-free because they call me for sympathy or send pictures of their break outs when they are in the middle of their reactions. 

But they do honestly believe (hope) that the foods will be gluten-free before they eat them. I don't know if I'm less trusting or just less willing to lose a few days to recovery that the risks just don't seem worth it. The last risk I took was eating food prepared by my cousin at Thanksgiving. The contamination really wasn't that bad because I only tried the foods that I thought would be okay (watched how they were prepared), and I slept through most of my reaction over on a long weekend ... but I definitely brought my own food at Christmas. Plus, who wants to quiz their host about every ingredient?