Rate this topic

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I was tested for celiac disease by my OB/GYN. I was undergoing a fertility workup up after having a miscarriage in January with no success at trying to conceive since. When she saw that I take daily benedry and loratadine for chronic hives on my lips, hands, and feet, she decided to run the test and told me the results were positive. I reported this to my primary care doc and he suggested endoscopy, but I don't really see the point. Positive is positive, right? As I understand it, the blood tests have a high rate of false negative, but not false positive. So what would be the point of endoscopy? I never had GI symptoms anyhow... just hives. Here are my results. Thanks for the unput.

Endomysial AB IgA - positive

tTG IgA - 12

Immunoglobulin A QN - 221 (normal)

Welcome to the board.  :)

I was dignosed as a celiac with a positive tTG IgA and EMA IgA as well.  The first test is about 95% specific to celiac disease but the second is about 99% specific tp celiac disease.  You are correct, you have celiac disease. 

I think doctors like to do the endoscopy on clear cut cases because that's what they were trained to do back in medical school.  Many of them seem to not realize that the biopsy is better used as a tool to help catch those who do not have clear test results, or an unexpected negative, rather than as a third confirmation of the disease.

That being said, many find the endoscopy useful because it gives them a starting point in their recovery, so if things do not go well, they can go back and do another biopsy to compare. Others find it easier to stay gluten-free when they have overwwhelming eveidence that they need to change their diets; of course that doesn't always happen as the biopsy misses somewhere between 10 and 20% of all celiacs.

It's a personal choice. Do it if you want to have it done or if the doctor wants it done and you agree with that reason, otherwise feel free to skip it -  it won't help with your recovery.

The hives were possibly dermatitis herpetifomis. There is a forum around here that focuses on that exlusively - it might be of help to you.

Hope you are well soon.

I used to get hives very badly when I was a kid. All over my body. I saw an allergist for it and it was found out to be that if I have to much salt I break out with hives till this day. I take Zyrtec to help keep the hives away if I getting to much salt in my system either through food or medicines. I have cut down on the salt intake drastically. But I noticed the other day, that I forgot to take my Zyrtec for 2 days cause of being sick, and I started breaking out.

Good luck with things.

After years of having abnormal periods mine have become a lot more normal in like 2 months or less of being gluten free. I had thought I was having early menopause or pre-menopause (in my 40's) nope. It was just another thing that wheat and gluten were messing up in my body.  

Hopefully for you it will help with your fertility.  You might get pregnant sooner than you think without the gluten!