SMRI

How Do You Read The Genetic Test Results?

Rate this topic

I've looked online but can't seem to find anything.  How do you read these test results?  What do the numbers mean.  I saw someone posted that their genetic markers were "high", are they a range or are they just codes for which genes show the markers?

Test: DQ alpha 1

05:01,05

Test: DQ beta 1

02:01,02:01 Serologic Equivalent: 2,2

They are coded for which genes are positive. Then there are different combinations that put you at different risks. Looks like you're DQ2 positive? Call the lab that ran them and ask for an interpretation. I did because my dr's office had no idea what it all meant. Turned out I am homozygous DQ2 (two copies) which is an extremely high risk. I'm including this link just so you can see the chart with the risks associated with certain gene combinations.

http://www.raisingjackwithceliac.com/2013/08/jacks-daddy-is-dq2-homozygous-im.html

Sorry it's a blog, but she copied the chart I was looking for : /

I used labcorp and they were helpful when I called. Best of luck to you!

I'm going back to the doctor next week so I can get the info then.  I'm mainly wondering what all the numbers mean because we are supposed to be getting our daughters tests back early this week and if she shows genetic markers from both parents, my husband needs to get tested :D.  We have 2 other children that are balking at getting tested, they are adults so I can only do so much, but if her tests come back with markers from us both, more ammo to get them going :D.

My tests also say "gene pairs present"????

I see! It's tough when children are involved! I'll be having my two girls tested though they show no signs of celiac. As I understand, you have to have certain pairs of alleles (those 02:01 number things) to have the gene be positive. They look at the alpha and beta subunits to find pairs. From what I've read, the beta subunits are more specific to celiac.They also have other genes for sensitivity that I don't know much about.

I sure hope all your children agree to testing!!