Kopka

Of Course This Happens...

Rate this topic

About 10 days ago I started to get the itchy, burning sensations in my usual spot. So I called a dermatologist, Duke Dermatology that has doctors who specialize in autoimmune skin conditions and specifically DH. The rash never really broke out like it has in the past and now it's just a little itchy with no real blisters. My apt is tomorrow morning and it's 2 hrs away. Should I still go? Will a biopsy be pointless? Also heard about this iodine patch thing that can maybe induce the rash...I have some iodine tincture 2%. Should I try this?

Anyone that can weigh in...from personal experience or otherwise it is much appreciated. Thanks!

Curious--do you just have one spot and is it confirmed DH?  I have 2 spots--one main and one small secondary spot that gets scaly but it burns and itches off an on.  It's not blistery though.  I had a derm look at it a month ago and he said it was just because I itch it that it ends up like that--I've had it for a year. He called it a Prurigo nodule but looking at photos on Google :D, it doesn't look like that to me :D.  He used liquid nitrogen to burn it off.  Since then, it hasn't split or crack open and it's not scaly, but it itches/burns from time to time.  I just noticed that my secondary spot showed up this morning.

I know the test should be with active lesions.  The antibodies under the skin have to be sufficient to be reliable.  I don't know about the Iodine.  Still, I wouldn't think one day for a full blown breakout is gonna make it.  How long did it take to make the appt?  Maybe just call and tell them your basically clear except itching and you are having a biopsy specifically for DH and get their opinion.  Maybe they can get you back quicker knowing the situation.  Can't hurt to try.  

Good Luck.

Colleen