This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

13 Year Old Newly Diagnosed

Pollymo

Pollymo Newbie

I was diagnosed a year ago and one of my children (13 year old daughter) was diagnosed 2 weeks ago.  With school starting I have been trying to think of things that I need to look out for at school.  She takes her own lunch and is familiar with label reading in case someone offers her something at school.  What I am trying to think of is things like Art class with paper mache.  Anything else anyone can point out about middle school issues?!  Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I have a 13 year old daughter too, but she tested negative this year. I would think the biggest challenge for your daughter is fitting in with her peers. Luckily, her best friend is allergic to nuts and milk,, so it is not a big deal among her circle of friends and they are used to it. They are used to our gluten-free household and car too! "Please wash your hands, girls when you enter our house." (kids touch everything!!!!)

I bake gluten-free goods and the kids love them. So, learn to bake so that she can share with her friends during lunch or during visits. Then they'll learn that she is not missing out on anything! I bake and freeze, so I am always prepared.

Just make sure she washes her hands before eating and we pack our own lunches since the school food is gross around here.

kareng Grand Master

I wouldn't worry about art supplies with someone this age.  She isn't going to eat the PlayDoh & can wash her hands well after.  If she has a cooking class, she might need to be excused if they are baking with flour - flour just flies everywhere.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Oh, forgot about Home Ec! Met our Home Ec teacher at an open house. She seemed to be an airhead. Told my kid that I could teach her at home and she signed up for electronic arts instead. Turns out the kids last year did not cook very much despite their Brandy Bunch inspired 1970's little kitchens. They focused on "resume building" for 7th graders! I kid you not! Seems like the teacher did not know that compost bins need to be sitting in the sun either.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

I would develop a 504 plan even though you don't anticipate needing any accommodations.  That way, if she gets glutened and misses several days of school, she will be able to make up the work.  Also, my older son's school (middle school) has some pretty strict bathroom policies that would not work for my younger son (with Celiac).  A 504 plan on file would cover you should any problems arise.  I'd be happy to share ours with you if you think it would be helpful.  My celiac son is only in 4th grade, but some of the stuff would apply.

Cara

Pollymo Newbie

Thanks for your replies! 

Cycling lady she didnt tell her friends at first but finally caved last weekend when they had a group sleepover!  We realized we should have packed some food for her to take.  They had an alternative dinner for her but not breakfast and she felt weird asking!! 

Kareng I dont worry about her eating the stuff but I have reacted to flour in a home made pizza crust I was making for the rest of the family and also accidentally breathed in a cloud of flour when I refilled the container (duh!!)  I'm not sure she will react the same way but I figure she doesnt need to be dipping her hands in the stuff for an hour a day while they are working on that project.

Cara I think I saw something you had up on another post.  I will go back and look for it!  Thanks! 

africanqueen99 Contributor

I have read on here that it's important for high school aged kids to have a working 504 for them to take to college with them.  Otherwise there are concerns about a required meal plan with not enough safe foods to eat.

If she's at a public school they are required to provide a 504 with appropriate accommodations.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived