Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Georgia_guy

How Far Will Ya Go?

What about in the same city? I don't drive, but it probably takes a good 30min to get from point A-B around here. I would travel up to an hour on transit if it was something really worthwhile (haven't found that thing yet).

(of course, I'm also lazy. Allegendly there's an all-gluten-free grocery/shop somewhere in the north part of the city that I've never been to because it's out of the way).

Toronto is actually lacking in completely gluten-free restaurants. I know of... 3? And maybe half-a-dozen bakeries?

If I'm travelling, then a 20min drive/cab-ride or 45min on transit, tops.

That said, I might use going to Montreal as an excuse to buy gluten-free beer, and someday I will do the 9-course gluten-free dinner at Senza in Chicago.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

I'm lucky enough to live in NYC, so I have lot of options. There is a 100% gluten-free restaurant and another dedicated bakery within 5 minutes (walking) from my boyfriend's apartment. That being said, I will travel an hour on the subways for good food or to get to the restaurant that I'm craving. 

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012