This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dealing With The Fatigue And Head Fog?

Magister Mundi

Magister Mundi Rookie

Hello all,

I've been doing this whole gluten free thing since my diagnosis two years ago. I'm pretty good at it, but like anyone, sometimes I get blindsided by gluten cross-contamination.

One of my main symptoms when glutened is head fog and fatigue. Sometimes I also get a nice dose of both even when I'm pretty certain I haven't been glutened at all (ex: after a week of eating nothing but fruit, vegetables, and poultry from the farm I was staying at), but it's definitely much worse when I've been glutened.

I'm a journalist, so my job demands very strict adherence to deadline, and also requires a high level of activity when I'm working. So, when I get totally wiped out for two days straight, like I did this weekend, it's a serious problem for me. How do others with these symptoms cope? Do you have any tips on how to at least get that fatigue and head fog to a manageable level?

Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MariaQ Newbie

I get mind fog, headaches and this fatigue as a gluten reaction too. I also noticed that sometimes I experience a low even with no gluten intoxication that I could recall. However, being from a country where gluten is eaten religiously, I usually attribute  it to cross contamination. My job also demands vigil so I know how it feels. Vit B 12 daily is sort of soothing it for me but no strategy out of it yet.

brooklyngal Rookie

There's the obvious healthy stuff – I try to exercise as much as I feel up to it, remember to take my multi-vitamin and make sure I have healthy, filling food packed for the day.

But also, lots of coffee and sugary candy! It's not great in the long-term, but iced coffee and Skittles help if I have to do focused, hard work for a few hours.

nvsmom Community Regular

Yep, coffee.  I used to rely on coffee a lot.... And occasionally that healthy stuff like exercise.

I hope you feel better come Monday.

Serielda Enthusiast

I know and hate brain fog as much as the next poster here. My go to's is like most filling food, light walks in open air . Outside of that strong aromatics, while I don't do coffee the smell seems to help me.

Archived