Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AWC_California

Symptoms - Any Difference When Glutened By Cosmetics?

Hello,

I've recently developed severe reactions to gluten (after a lifetime of symptoms that now make sense).   I'm not yet diagnosed with celiacs and the genetic test showed < 1% chance of developing it.

Yesterday I reacted to something and noticed some new symptoms.  The skin on my lower stomach was super sensitive to the touch (almost like needles sticking in it) and then I got a very hot sensation in my upper abdomen for about 30 minutes.  I also got the usual brain fog, nausea and other GI pain/discomfort. 

I think all of my food was safe but I used some lotions/makeup that were not and think I forgot to wash my hands before eating breakfast.

Does anyone notice any differences in your symptoms when you get reactions from cosmetics rather than food?  The hot stomach was a first for me.

Thanks for any advice/input.  This forum has been such a huge help to me.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't see why it would matter whether the gluten you ate was in lotion or soup.  The reaction should be the same - actually you probably got a lot less from a drop of lotion.

If you were having a skin reaction, maybe it is a contact allergy to something in the lotion?

Join eNewsletter

I don't see why it would matter whether the gluten you ate was in lotion or soup.  The reaction should be the same - actually you probably got a lot less from a drop of lotion.

If you were having a skin reaction, maybe it is a contact allergy to something in the lotion?

The Philosophy lotion I used does have oats so maybe I was reacting to that.

Thanks - I appreciate your input.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter